Liberal Film Critic Roeper Slams 9/11 Conspiracy Nuts

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Pabst, Aug 18, 2006.

1. Mules are very well known for staying their own course, that's why we call them Jackasses....

#61     Aug 20, 2006
  2. High level Mafia, orders Jack Ruby to kill the "lone gunman" who himself was directed by a high level Mafia.

No flunkies involved...

By the way, where is Jimmy Hoffa?

LOL...

#62     Aug 20, 2006
  3. Pekelo

Pekelo

I actually read the whole thing (Pabst post), because I am waiting if it is going to rain or not. Well, the first 3/4 of it was a waste of bandwith, but then came the interesting part.

It looks like that these traders :

- got either incredibly lucky and just guessed at the right time (have you ever taken a probability class?)

- some of them were dumb, because they also bought the stocks and eventually ended up with a loss (we have to believe here without any shown evidence that both the puts and the stockbuyer were the same persons)

The commission failed to explain away a bunch of other suspicious trades (Merrill Lynch and Morgan Stanley), simply putting them together and saying: "all the rest was similar to the quoted and explained example."

Now here comes the double whammy! Suspicious activities didn't just happen in the US!!! :

"German central bank president Ernst Welteke later reports that a study by his bank indicates, “There are ever clearer signs that there were activities on international financial markets that must have been carried out with the necessary expert knowledge,” not only in shares of heavily affected industries such as airlines and insurance companies, but also in gold and oil. [Daily Telegraph, 9/23/2001] His researchers have found “almost irrefutable proof of insider trading.” [Miami Herald, 9/24/2001] “If you look at movements in markets before and after the attack, it makes your brow furrow. But it is extremely difficult to really verify it.” Nevertheless, he believes that “in one or the other case it will be possible to pinpoint the source.” [Fox News, 9/22/2001] Welteke reports “a fundamentally inexplicable rise” in oil prices before the attacks [Miami Herald, 9/24/2001] and then a further rise of 13 percent the day after the attacks. Gold rises nonstop for days after the attacks. [Daily Telegraph, 9/23/2001]"

Also care to explain this:

"Mayo Shattuck III resigns, effective immediately, as head of the Alex Brown unit of Deutsche Bank. No reason is given. Some speculate later that this could have to do with the role of Deutsche Bank in the pre-9/11 purchases of put options on the stock of companies most affected by 9/11. [New York Times, 9/15/2001; Wall Street Journal, 9/27/2001]"

#63     Aug 20, 2006
  4. Pabst

Pabst

There's zillions of unsolved murders. I'm talking about conspiracies. Did hundreds of people need to participate in Hoffa's death?

Has there ever been a single credible piece of EVIDENCE tying anyone other than Oswald to JFK's death?

#64     Aug 20, 2006
  5. Pekelo

Pekelo

By the way I liked the way how the Commission picked AIG and explained that one, when the really suspicious trades happened in:

"Morgan Stanley Dean Witter & Co. and Merrill Lynch & Co. were both headquartered in lower Manhattan at the time of the attack. Morgan Stanley occupied 22 floors of the North Tower and Merrill Lynch had headquarters near the Twin Towers. Morgan Stanley, which saw an average of 27 put options on its stock bought per day before September 6, saw 2,157 put options bought in the three trading days before the attack. Merrill Lynch, which saw an average of 252 put options on its stock bought per day before September 5, saw 12,215 put options bought in the four trading days before the attack. Morgan Stanley's stock dropped 13% and Merrill Lynch's stock dropped 11.5% when the market reopened.

Bank of America showed a fivefold increase in put option trading on the Thursday and Friday before the attack. "

Must be some lucky son of a bitches... I wonder what was their explanation of being bearish on those stocks?

#65     Aug 20, 2006
  6. Zillions of unsolved murders?

More hyperbole from Pa(b)st his prime.

So where is Hoffa?

A conspiracy doesn't require any more than 2 people, by law...

Hey, if you want to continue to naively believe that powerful wealthy people don't conspire, stay in your own little world...

Personally, I am not saying I know how Kennedy was killed, or who was involved, but there are obvious reasons to doubt the "official story" and the Warren Report...

#66     Aug 20, 2006
  7. Pabst

Pabst

You're using many fallacious arguments. First off Peklo, there's survivorship bias in many of these "trades." IOW's if I look down the list of WTC tenants and find large put buyers in one or two, what about the others? Canter was the only firm that was close to being WIPED out and their stock (espeed, the Treasury trading platform) rose the days before 9/11. HAL which is a conspiracy nuts favorite was salvaged not only the next week but for the next year. As far as "luck", UAL was breaking down for weeks into 9/11. Surprised there were put buyers?

As far as probabilities, my advice after 22 years of futures trading (I doubt anyone on ET has traded as many contracts as me) leave that shit in the classroom. Any idea what the "odds" of a 22.6% Dow decline in one day (10/19/87) were? I play at least one backgammon game a day for money. A few weeks back I rolled "snake eyes" on four consecutive rolls. The odds? 1 in 1.7 million!! So the "probability" that a hedge fund would buy a bunch of puts in a weak stock in a weak industry is not on my radar of statistically improbable.

#67     Aug 20, 2006
  8. I notice that none of the 'space-aliens-ate-my-Buick' types on here bothered to answer my question, which was a very simple one - how far was the base of bldg. 7 from the base of the nearest WTC tower that got hit?

Sam123... I wonder if your explanations would involve the tendency for large masses of solid matter in motion, like those found in rockslides, to act remarkably like liquids?

Seems to me that the nutbags who keep parroting 'Building 7! Building 7' as proof that there were no planes and that the whole thing was orchestrated by George W. Bush and his wife are missing a very obvious point here.

#68     Aug 20, 2006
  9. ......

#69     Aug 20, 2006
  10. Pabst

Pabst

If you never saw the JFK documentary by Peter Jennings a few years back I'd suggest renting the DVD. Technology available today convincingly debunks the grassy knoll.....

When did I infer people don't conspire. I merely said dozens or hundreds don't successfully conspire without the cat very rapidly getting out of the bag.

I know what a conspiracy is

#70     Aug 20, 2006