Liberal Exodus to Canada causes problems

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Arnie, Sep 17, 2010.

1. Of all the Americans I know who talk of fleeing to Canada, I wouldn't classify a single one of them as a 'liberal'. Out-of-touch leftist scumbags like Pelosi & Obama are no better in our book than out-of-touch conservative scumbags like Romney or McCain.

Forget the false left-right dichotomy, for it is truly meaningless.
    So what <i>does</i> motivate us to consider abandoning the sinking ship that is the U.S.? Senseless persecution. Getting ground up through the 'criminal justice' system despite the fact that we were never really criminals at all. When those who are harmless as lambs can get accosted by law enforcement (Typically starting with a blatant violation of our 4th amendment rights) and stuck with a felony case for absolutely no reason at all, it would make <b>anyone</b> consider relocating to greener and freer pastures.

#11     Sep 19, 2010
  2. Ricter

Ricter

Canada is no better in that latter sense, Rearden. This is the biggest "safety sissy" society I've ever lived in. Other than that, it's awesome.

#12     Sep 19, 2010
  3. Just three weeks ago I was pulled over and illegally searched without consent by Chicago cops. How often does that sort of shit happen in Vancouver?

#13     Sep 19, 2010
  4. jem

jem

Cops love pull over the cars with 4th amendments waivers. Not sure if that applies to you.

Cops "cruise for dirt balls"
    So they see are car with a tail light out, call in the plates and hope the driver has a record.

They pull the driver over and find guns or drugs enough to fill up CA jails.

When I did preliminary hearings for a D.A. as a summer intern -- 70 % of the cases I saw go through prelims were drug related and most of those were people who were stopped in their car.

#14     Sep 19, 2010
  5. Canada: One of the very few nations on Earth to get Privacy International's stamp of approval. That's saying something...

[​IMG]

Canada stays the hell out of it's citizens private lives, with few exceptions... That's quite meaningful in my book. The United States could afford to learn a lesson or two from Canada about it's own constitution..

#15     Sep 19, 2010
  6. Cops cruise for likely drug prohibition violators who may or may not be dirtballs.

#16     Sep 19, 2010
  7. Only people that are breaking the law, or driving around late at night in bad areas get pulled over. Stop doing both and you wont have to worry about getting pulled over & searched.

Want to know why canadian cops dont search cars? Because their horses cant keep up with them to even pull them over. :D

#17     Sep 19, 2010
  8. "Only wrongdoers need worry"... "Don't be outside your dwelling at a suspicious time"... How Orwellian of you peil

#18     Sep 19, 2010
  9. <i>First they came for the harmless drug users.
    And I didn't speak up because I didn't use drugs...</i>

#19     Sep 19, 2010
  10. The United States has the highest incarceration rate in the world. A very large portion of people who are incarcerated are imprisoned for drug-related crimes. In 1994, it was reported that the "War on Drugs" results in the incarceration of one million Americans each year.[18] Of the related drug arrests, about 225,000 are for possession of cannabis, the fourth most common cause of arrest in the United States.[19]
    In 2008, 1.5 million Americans were arrested for drug offenses. 500,000 were imprisoned.[20]
    In the 1980s, while the number of arrests for all crimes was rising 28%, the number of arrests for drug offenses rose 126%.[21] The United States has a higher proportion of its population incarcerated than any other country in the world for which reliable statistics are available, reaching a total of 2.2 million inmates in the U.S. in 2005. Among the prisoners, drug offenders made up the same percentage of State prisoners in both 1997 and 2004 (21%). The percentage of Federal prisoners serving time for drug offenses declined from 63% in 1997 to 55% in 2004.[22] The US Department of Justice, reporting on the effects of state initiatives, has stated that, from 1990 through 2000. "the increasing number of drug offenses accounted for 27% of the total growth among black inmates, 7% of the total growth among Hispanic inmates, and 15% of the growth among white inmates." In addition to prison or jail, the United States provides for the deportation of many non-citizens convicted of drug offenses.[23]
    Federal and state policies also impose collateral consequences on those convicted of drug offenses, such as denial of public benefits or licenses, that are not applicable to those convicted of other types of crime.[24]
    Marijuana constitutes almost half of all drug arrests, and between 1990–2002, out of the overall drug arrests, 82% of the increase was for marijuana.

A poll on October 2, 2008, found that three in four Americans believed that the War On Drugs was failing.[54]
    Critics cite a large number of unnecessary deaths and imprisonments, increased levels of violent crime and gang activity, wasted government funds, violation of civil liberties, lack of public support, illegality of current drug policies, environmental destruction from drug eradication programs, lack of effectiveness, and a number of other issues.

#20     Sep 19, 2010