Liberal ban on magazine size.

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Hello, Jan 18, 2011.

1. I even agree that "guns don't kill, their handlers do", its only
    logical, it'd be like saying cars kill or airplanes but what about
    assault weapons? There must exist the possibility that there are bad people who would prefer an automatic multi round clip and
    they had to settle for something less because its harder to
    get. Accounting for the possibilities is why there are security
    and insurance industries at all. Improved screening is reasonable.

#51     Jan 18, 2011
  2. I redefine points? Yeah... OK Mr. Las Vegas Sands :p
    http://www.elitetrader.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&postid=3064279#post3064279

My "unsolicited pepper?" So you think your "Damien" bullshit doesn't warrant anything? What a whiny little pansy brat... just like your buddy Deranged Rover. Grow up little boy.

#52     Jan 18, 2011
  3. Maverick74

Maverick74

Here's the thing. I think your argument can work when dealing with "rational" people. However, guys like Jared are anything but rational and they are never going to make a rational decision. They will find a way to get the gun they want and kill whoever they want to kill. Yes, gun laws are very effective at keeping normal, law abiding soccer dads from buying that 20 round clip. But is that really who we are trying to stop here? The soccer dad? Or Jared?

#53     Jan 18, 2011
  4. Ditto for libturds which is why it's futile to discuss this with them.

#54     Jan 18, 2011
  5. This is an interesting observation. You assume however that the government can actually decide to "do something" about poverty and make it so. Nearly 50 years of failed anti-poverty programs and trillions of dollars down the drain would counsel caution on that score.

Research has proved that the factors that will get you out and keep you out of poverty have little to do with government policy. Things like don't have children out of wedlock, stay married, finish school, don't do drugs and stay out of jail. Unfortunately, these tend to be things that are largely chosen behavior and hence reflective of character and culture.

What the government can do is twofold. One, provide a healthy economy so people doing the right things can find decent jobs. Two, don't adopt policies that reward dysfunctional behavior and thus undermine the traits that keep one out of poverty.

#55     Jan 18, 2011
  6. +1

#56     Jan 18, 2011
  7. There is no way to tell if someone is rational when he's at the counter. He might dress for the occaision even. Improving backround checks is reasonable. Then it kinda
    gets down to, at how many rounds do you draw the line?
    Which ironically and metaphorically is what alot of disagreements
    have as their ...not solutions but compromises. Even soccer dads should be happy with say 10-12? Not many home invasions
    have more than 4 or 5 kids involved I'm guessing..and they should get a dog, best alarm you could ask for. :D

#57     Jan 18, 2011
  8. Lucrum

Lucrum

Looks like two of ET's biggest liberals need to talk.

#58     Jan 18, 2011
  9. I have no clue since I don't share your culture of being a liberal pantywaist.

#59     Jan 18, 2011
  10. It's misleading to use switzerland as an example
    "The Swiss army has long been a militia trained and structured to rapidly respond against foreign aggression. Swiss males grow up expecting to undergo basic military training, usually at age 20 in the Rekrutenschule (German for "recruit school"), the initial boot camp, after which Swiss men remain part of the "militia" in reserve capacity until age 30 (age 34 for officers). Each such individual is required to keep his army-issued personal weapon (the 5.56x45mm Sig 550 rifle for enlisted personnel and/or the 9mm SIG-Sauer P220 semi-automatic pistol for officers, medical and postal personnel) at home with a specified personal retention quantity of government-issued personal ammunition (50 rounds 5.56 mm / 48 rounds 9mm), which is sealed and inspected regularly to ensure that no unauthorized use takes place.[3] The ammunition are intended for use while traveling to the army barracks in case of invasion.

When their period of service has ended, militiamen have the choice of keeping their personal weapon and other selected items of their equipment. In this case of retention, the rifle is sent to the weapons factory where the fully automatic function is removed; the rifle is then returned to the discharged owner. The rifle is then a semi-automatic or self-loading rifle."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_politics_in_Switzerland

#60     Jan 18, 2011