Liberal ban on magazine size.

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Hello, Jan 18, 2011.

1. Maverick74

Maverick74

OK, fine. Bad choice of words. Do you truly believe that gun control laws will "reduce" the amount of guns that get into the hands of criminals. Same goes for drugs and prostitution. Come on Ricter, you know what I'm asking here. I expect better from you then to play semantics.

#11     Jan 18, 2011
  2. Get it straight. You just apologized then go right back into, "guns"
    when its not about "guns" its about the extent of "types of killing machines".

#12     Jan 18, 2011
  3. Gun control laws will not prevent criminals from getting guns. Now let me ask you a couple questions. Do you think closing the gun show loop hole that allows the purchase of a gun on the spot is really an attack on the 2nd amendment? Why is it such a bad idea to require some type of thorough background check before a person can purchase a gun?
    As to a law that actually has done some good, tougher drunk driving laws have reduced deaths and accidents on the road due to driving while impaired. Let's see, that's about it...wait, there's the deregulation and lack of oversight on financial institutions and corporate America in general. That's accomplished exactly what it was supposed to in allowing the wholesale destruction of blue collar labor, and the financial rape of the working class.:p

#13     Jan 18, 2011
  4. Maverick74

Maverick74

I'm trying to keep the argument broad on purpose.

#14     Jan 18, 2011
  5. Even liberals own guns. You know the debate by now. Its only been decades. I even own a gun but not a machine gun. Its always been about extent. Whats the point keeping it broad?

#15     Jan 18, 2011
  6. Crispy

Crispy

One of the first handgun laws in the states was the "Sullivan act" in NY city. Sully was a corrupt Tammany hall politician that was helping his hired thugs protect themselves during crime sprees in which they would relieve fellow NY`rs of their money.

That’s about all you really need to know about gun laws. They protect criminals and leave the honest folk out in the wind.

#16     Jan 18, 2011
  7. Maverick74

Maverick74

#17     Jan 18, 2011
  8. Ricter

Ricter

Just wanted to make sure the focus is on efficacy. If by criminals you are willing to include the deviant behaviors like we just saw in Tucson, and those crimes of passion we too often see in the home, then I believe this: making them harder to get, ie. relatively scarcer, must in the end raise the cost of obtaining them, in money, in time, to a point where some, not all, will be deterred. This is non-controversial, of course, since it's clear that if there were no guns at all there would be no gun crimes.

At any rate, every time there is a massacre like this there is a call to "do something" about this very difficult problem. That's human nature, and politicians have to acknowledge that. Do they personally believe their proposals will eliminate gun crime? I doubt they do.

#18     Jan 18, 2011
  9. Maverick74

Maverick74

Don't you think the debate would be better served to talk about mental illness? Why is it that gangs and mafia and drug cartels don't seem deterred by the cost of getting illegal arms?

#19     Jan 18, 2011
  10. #20     Jan 18, 2011