Leverage

Discussion in 'Prop Firms' started by exchange1, Jan 17, 2007.

1. As Mav said there really is no "better" - there is only profitable and not profitable, and that always changes. The true edge changes, not only in instruments, but in the way you approach those instruments.

I am saying that of our traders, the pairs guys are doing better than the "lone wolf" scalpers/momentum/RS/and, yes, the "directional" guys. The "contractual pairs" are literally a "lock" of profits. But, again, things change.

There are many edges, as I said. If you have an interest, you may like to read this from a few years ago...it represents some of these changes over the years.

www.stocktrading.com/adaptingnew.html

And, realize that some people do well with change and some don't, it doesn't make one better or worse than the other. Some of my "older" guys will never trader pairs or use our automated programs, but will likely make money for the rest of their lives.

All the best,

Don

#11     Jan 22, 2007
  2. exchange1

exchange1

Hi Don,

I read that article some time ago- it is interesting.

What I dont undestand about pairs is which one to trade and what direction- how does a pair trade differ in risk than any other- I understand one leg is short and other long- and maybe even ratio 60/40- where does speculation begin and end and where do I fing a good pair trade- never mind manage the risk- who finds the "trade" for your guys ?

#12     Jan 22, 2007
  3. Maverick74

Maverick74

Oh no, now you've done it. You've opened up the black hole of pair trading.
    :eek: :eek: :eek:

Lock the doors, close the windows, hide the children! Just kidding Don, The floor is yours. :)

#13     Jan 22, 2007
  4. Maverick,

Could you go into further detail why you start your futures traders in etfs?

Thanks

#14     Jan 22, 2007
  5. mrmoose

mrmoose

Mav

do you have traders who are consistently profitable daytrading ETF"S?

#15     Jan 22, 2007
  6. You'll get a good insight from the "master" on Wednesday. Master is Rob Friesen, not me. There are literally a couple dozens sets of criteria for all that.

Don

#16     Jan 22, 2007
  7. Step into my dojo, Grasshopper - LOL.

Don

#17     Jan 22, 2007
  8. Serious question Mav...do you think there is enough interest to do this on Wed, or should be wait a week...I'm good either way.

(and others out there).

Don :confused:

#18     Jan 22, 2007
  9. Maverick74

Maverick74

Because I want traders to learn my system with as little leverage as possible. The ETF's are so small that you can trade without worrying about money. It's simply about execution. Once you are consistent with the ETF's, you can leverage up the size with the futures. And so far it's working!!!!!

#19     Jan 22, 2007
  10. Maverick74

Maverick74

Yes, we do and I'm very proud of them. :)

#20     Jan 22, 2007