Leverage Poll Part 2

Discussion in 'Index Futures' started by scriabinop23, Nov 17, 2006.

Leverage Ratio per account size

1. 1:1 (1 ES per 70k cash in account) for accounts 100k and under DISCRETIONARY

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. 7:1 (1 ES if you have 10k of cash) DISCRETIONARY

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. 14:1 (1 ES if you have 5k of cash) DISCRETIONARY

3 vote(s)
    50.0%
  4. 3:1 (1 ES if you have 30k of cash) DISCRETIONARY

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. 1:1 SYSTEM or AUTOMATED

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. 7:1 SYSTEM or AUTOMATED

1 vote(s)
    16.7%
  7. 14:1 SYSTEM or AUTOMATED

1 vote(s)
    16.7%
  8. 3:1 SYSTEM or AUTOMATED

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. 0.01:1 -> .99:1 (no leverage) DISCRETIONARY

1 vote(s)
    16.7%
  10. .01:1 -> .99:1 (no leverage) SYSTEM

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. For us fascinated in statistics, here's another poll.

I try to differentiate discretionary (tends to be position traders) versus system traders, who I am lumping together with scalpers. Position traders usually have wide even mental stops, long term positions, and can endure volatility swings and other short term noise.

When I refer to a system trader, I am talking of someone who has very tight stops, takes only entry and exits from their system, and hopefully never deviates. I am curious if most system trader / scalpers are often using higher leverage to achieve results. I'll lump in automated traders, since it requires a system. :)

I wonder how many elitetraders are 5-25k accounts trading a bunch of ES (or anything else for that matter) on a tight system, versus better funded traders using less leverage.

If you're open to sharing, please mention account size and # of contracts you trade. I figure the poll format allows anonymity, though. So thats what most will do.