Leverage beyond 1:100?

Discussion in 'Forex Brokers' started by tmclimon, Oct 31, 2008.

1. rather than speak in terms of leverage, the way i do it is that i set my stop-loss on any given day to 3% of my account balance. my best days i've made as much as 6% but average more reasonably about 2% and outway winning to losing days at about 4-1. the leverage i employ though is quite large, i pair trade with total leverage at about 30:1

#31     Nov 1, 2008
  2. People seeking high leverage should understand the concept of "Risk of Ruin." Anyone regularly using 100:1 leverage will become a poster child for this definition quite a lot in his life...

#32     Nov 2, 2008
  3. Think outside the box for a minute, don't be frightened off by the leverage doomsayers.....

Leverage and compounding can be powerful tools, but just like a loaded gun the user needs to know which is the dangerous end or he'll end up shooting himself in the foot! I just wish Oanda would stop playing noobie nursemaid and increase their pathetic 50:1.

There are times during the month when I could quite comfortably use >200:1 and still maintain an acceptable risk.

A point of interest: some of Soros's money management strategies employ what to the uninitiated would seem like suicidal gearing!

#33     Nov 2, 2008
  4. tmclimon

tmclimon Guest

I agree even though I am still discovering fx. From what I see with my demo account, yes there are times when 100:1 would be needed. And I am OK with risk, it's part of my life.

#34     Nov 3, 2008
  5. Same with IB - it's hard luck for short term traders who get on a big trend and want to keep adding to a position.

#35     Nov 3, 2008
  6. Think about it - at 100:1 you'll never even get to the "averaging" stage.

#36     Nov 3, 2008
  7. honestly, totally honestly...I would trade with 400-1 or even 600-1 leverage...what Forex brokers offer the highest leverage?...again, totally serious...

#37     Nov 3, 2008
  8. how come bucketshops will give you up to 400 to 1 and they only get 30 to 1 at the bank (if that anymore)?

BECAUSE ANYONE USING THAT KIND OF LEVERAGE WILL BLOW UP VERY QUICKLY! THANK YOU COME AGAIN!

#38     Nov 4, 2008
  9. You are 1 smart dude !

The HIGHER the leverage , the QUICKER the bucketshop can take your money with their games.

#39     Nov 4, 2008
  10. 500 is the most I've seen and that was with Alpari

#40     Nov 4, 2008