level5trading.com

Discussion in 'Trading' started by GeorgeC, Jan 28, 2002.

1. BS!!!

I HAVE A BRAIN!!!!!

I CAN TRADE ANYTHING ANYWHERE IF YOU TELL ME HOW TO DO IT!!!!!

DON'T GIVE THIS "I CAN DO IT BUT MAYBE YOU CAN'T" BS!!!!

YOU TELL ME WHEN TO ENTER & WHEN TO EXIT....

I'LL MAKE AS MUCH $$$$$$$$$$$$$$ AS YOU.........

THAT IS...IF YOU AREN'T FULL OF %$#@$%#$!!!!!!!!!

WELL.....???????????

#21     Jan 28, 2002
  2. Toni

Toni

it's tough to be a good trader if you get too emotional.. it mucks up your judgement.. take off the caps and calm down

#22     Jan 28, 2002
  3. YEAH...THAT'S THE REPLY I ANTICIPATED.... HA!

#23     Jan 28, 2002
  4. Toni

Toni

you anticipate my response without knowing me? well... at any rate i have no intention of continuing with this conversation as it's not very worthwhile for any side involved. i do not know you so i'd rather not form an ill opinion of you based on the three posts i've read from you. i do understand your perhaps having a bad opinion of brandon though as i find many of his post to be as unproductive as your past several have been despite them containing good advice. if you wish to make an equally hasty judgement of my character based upon the conversation tonight or due to your bias against brandon's posts then i apologize. good luck in the future and on your trading and have an enjoyable evening.

#24     Jan 28, 2002
  5. Brandonf

Brandonf Sponsor

<i>I am looking for help! That 's it, pure and simple. </i>

Purhaps this will be seen as me just being a smart ass again. The first time I read it, I myself thought it was a rather pointless smart ass waste of space in an otherwise fine book. The longer I've traded though, the more I see its value though.

<b> The Jademaster </B>
    One cold winter morning a young man walks five miles through the snow. He knocks on the Jademaster's door. The Jademaster answers with a broom in his hand.
    "yes?"
    "I want to learn about Jade"
    "Very well then, come in from the cold"
    They sit by the fire drinking hot green tea. The Jademaster presses a green stone deeply into the young man's hand and begins to talk about tree frogs. After a few minutes, the young man interrupts.
    "Excuse me, Im here to learn about jade, not treefrogs"
    The Jademaster takes the stone and tells the young man to go home. The following week the young man returns. The Jademaster presses another green stone into the young mans hand and continues his story. Again, the young man interupts. Again, the Jademaster sends him home. Weeks pass. The young man interupts less and less. The young man also learns how to brew the hot green tea, clean up the kitchen and sweep the floors. Spring comes.
    One day, the young man observes, "The stone I hold is not genuine Jade."

----

I lean back in my chair savoring the story. My student interrupts.
    "OK. OK. Thats a great story. I don't see what it has to do with making money. I ome to you to find out about the markets. I want to learn about the bulls and the bears, commodities, stocks, bonds, calls and options. I want to make big money. You tell me a fable about Jade. What is this? You.."
    "Thats all for now. Leave those price charts on the table. Come back next week."
    Months pass. My student interrupts less and less as I continue the story of "The Traders Window"

I took this from the New Market Wizards, it was taken from there from "The Traders Window" by Ed Seykota.

#25     Jan 28, 2002
  6. oolarinm

oolarinm

Toni,

if you have a system that works, i believe you can teach it if you want to otherwise why does Brandon have a chatroom . I do agree that ultimately the individual will have to pull the trigger but successful mehtods can be taught. Lets say you are my mentor, and i can watch you trade in up , down , and sideways markets , i can replicate what you did because i am not dumb. But if i don't have confidence in your methods , that will cause me to be trigger shy. The first person that taught me how to trade , told me to use MA crossovers and i did almost exclusively and they suck . I was losing money on every trade but still kept on , then i thought wait a minute this isn't working so i quit .

I know brandons strategy works because he is keeping it to himself . and i understand why anyone will not want to reveal it on a public forum. But to say that this is an individual thing is .....

#26     Jan 28, 2002
  7. Toni

Toni

<i>I am putting in a 24/7 effort on this endeavor. I am exposing myself to as many methods as I can to find something I can work with. So far the only approach that I can actually apply is the method presented by Jay at Undergroundtrader. I can see his setups and they work. Are you familiar with his methods? Do you have a better method for me to consider? If so lets hear about it. I of course do not mean rhetoric, but real substance.</i>

<i>I am not interested in slamming anyone, I am looking for help! </i>

Hello arky,

I don't know how helpful this will be to you but I will give it a shot... It is true that every trader has a different personality and hence strategy that will work best for him/her. I cannot say what is best for you as I don't know you. I probably have a slightly unique perspective though that you may or may not have tried. You see, I'd never actually read any trading books or read any message boards or anything else on trading before I started. I knew a bit of the basics from Brandon: what a base was, what a flag was and what candlestick charts were. I knew you could daytrade or swingtrade and I had him explain to me how to place an order. From there though I was basically on my own.

I tried swingtrading only to start with because the thought of scalping and spending so much money on commissions seemed insane to me. I wasn't quite sure what to do though. I'd heard of things like buying a breakout or buying a pullback and knew I had to set and keep stops under support, moving averages being one type of support, so I took that and ran with it. What I did was every evening I would scan the Nasdaq 100 and S&P 100 and make an "educated" guess on where it would go the next day and why. I kept a record of my guesses in a notebook and then I would review the results the next day. If something didn't go like I guessed then I'd guess why not. If it did I would write down what I thought helped it work. As time passed I'd started to notice patterns repeating themselves and my "guesses" became more and more accurate. Once I had the basics down I moved onto learning the exceptions to the rules I'd learned. I also moved onto trying daytrading and even scalping (which I quickly found was still too hectic for me although there are certain markets in which I will scalp.. to me meaning something I'm taking on momentum and which usually lasts 20-30 minutes)

By keeping this journal though, which began as a simple notebook with columns for stock, up and down, I began to figure out what styles and aspects of trading I was most suitable for. At any rate, I hope you found this post somewhat helpful.

#27     Jan 28, 2002
  8. oolarinm

oolarinm

Toni ,

Again what you said is true but you can tell anyone you want what you have learnt and save them re inventing the wheel ( i guess they have to pay you handsomely though )

#28     Jan 28, 2002
  9. jem

jem

ProTrader1 I am beginning to enjoy your posts-- I am sure they are your alter ego and from that perspective they are pretty funny.

I am not sure if the real you could make money with Brandon's calls but I think ProTrader1 could. I have watched Brandon make some very good trades in his room over the last few weeks. He had a few losers but I am pretty confident in saying he made more money than he lost. This is not a full endorsement because I have only seen a few weeks of his trades but I will tell you he is not full of shi_.

I can not tell you how much I made with them because I did not take more than one or two of his trades (because I trade my own way.) But I will tell you this, Brandon's discipline in not trading when it is crappy has probably influenced my trading and consequently I have been doing relatively well lately.

Finally, because I sense flames not necessarily from ProTrader let me say I have never met Brandon or Toni and have no deals with them. And to head off other attacks let me say I have been trading full time for 5 years or so, at least the last four profitably--so don't start telling me I am some sort of newbie fool. Not that I would care but I just do not want to have to type more messages or waste time.

#29     Jan 28, 2002
  10. Toni

Toni

<i>if you have a system that works, i believe you can teach it if you want to otherwise why does Brandon have a chatroom...</i>

<i>I know brandons strategy works because he is keeping it to himself . and i understand why anyone will not want to reveal it on a public forum...</i>

<i>you can tell anyone you want what you have learnt and save them re inventing the wheel (i guess they have to pay you handsomely though)</i>

Hello oolarinm,

I do agree you can teach successful methods. We actually do that throughout the day in the chatroom and during classes on Wednesday evening. This chat forum has been free since the beginning of December and I write a market column every day at Alan Farley's site (also free). Sure we've charged for our educational material in the past and no doubt will in the future. I think our time and material is valuable, but I'm biased :)

In the intraday chat forum entries, exits and explanation of trades are given also so it's not that he does not share it in a free public forum... he just doesn't here....

My guess is that Brandon uses the message boards just to talk to traders and gab to his buddies as much as he is anything else. I know most of the valuable info he posts in elite trader is in pvt msg to help people out.

Anyway, here is an example of a class I gave on one of my favorite setups. It may be more along the lines of what you guys are looking for but not finding on message boards like this: http://www.swingtrader.net/classes/Oct2001/Oct29_2001phoenix.html
    It's a setup you can use on pretty much any time frame. We saw it occur today on the 5 minute Nasdaq Composite. Hope you find it helpful.

Well I'm gonna take off for the evening and do some scanning. Take care,

#30     Jan 29, 2002