Level II usefulness

Discussion in 'Order Execution' started by smoss, Feb 3, 2004.

1. Its still OK for less liquid issues...

#11     Feb 4, 2004
  2. c_verm

c_verm

Sounds like your candle charts are burning at both ends of the wick!!

#12     Feb 4, 2004
  3. smoss

smoss

What are the keys to spotting MM traps?

#13     Feb 4, 2004
  4. Once in a blue moon you may spot something on Level II just before a stock takes off, but the vast majority of the time the size and action on Level II mean nothing. You can't stare at Level II and 'follow the size' anymore like you could back in 1998.

Level II is only useful in that it gives you some idea of how large/small your position should be (how easy/difficult it will be for you to unwind the position).

#14     Feb 4, 2004
  5. ChrisRT

ChrisRT

I have to agree with roberk here. MMs are really trying to trade against other MMs, not necessarily worrying about 1K orders. You take away their (or our) ability to mask intentions, they are not fulfilling their client's needs as easily, which is a big part of their commission structure. I am not trying to defend MMs, but anyone that forces me or them to display all that I have in order to create 100% transparency is taking the ability away for sound capital and/or risk management tools by both them and us. Maybe there is some kind of common ground (which I think they found by saying if you have reserve, you show 1000), but to say there needs to be complete intentions known in terms of shares available..yikes...seems dangerous.

Chris

#15     Feb 4, 2004
  6. ChrisRT

ChrisRT

This is what I agree with and what I tried to say earlier.

And wasting my time looking for the once in a blue moon is not what I want from trading.

Chris

#16     Feb 4, 2004
  7. If you want to read level 2 trade NYSE... Much more readable...:D

#17     Feb 4, 2004
  8. volente_00

volente_00

Level II is most useful when you are watching it and time and sales at the same time. This helps eliminate the games being played for the tape always tells the truth.

#18     Feb 11, 2004
  9. GSCO

GSCO

It's real interesting to see how different traders use different strategies. My entire Strategy is based on reading Level two. My only comment to people who don't see any usefulness in reading level two is that "you're not reading it properly."

Not that you can't make money without it, just that there is a right way and a wrong way to watch level two.

#19     Feb 11, 2004
  10. GSCO

GSCO

I love hearing stuff like this.

#20     Feb 11, 2004