Letter from a Dodge Dealer

Discussion in 'Economics' started by Tauvros, May 20, 2009.

1. jprad

jprad

Yep, you're wrong.

Google: dealer+"floor plan financing"

#11     May 20, 2009
  2. He said, he did nothing wrong; while I really know nothing about car dealing, it was clear for months the shit could hit anytime - he could at least have minimized his inventory.

#12     May 20, 2009
  3. Well then please, share your intelligence on the subject.

#13     May 20, 2009
  4. Arnie

Arnie

No matter how you feel about Chyrsler and the quality of their cars, or the govt bailout, the guy that wrote that letter does have a point. Imagine yourselves facing that. It sounds like he had a pretty good business going.

#14     May 20, 2009
  5. jprad

jprad

How?

On the one hand you've got dealerships who are contractually obligated to take an allotment of left-over inventory at the end of the model year and on the other you've got consumers who can't, or won't, get financing.

So, who are they going to sell them to?

#15     May 20, 2009
  6. All the Chrysler plants should be sent to other countries, and the union workers that drove them into the ground should be laid off without severance or retirement benefits.

#16     May 20, 2009
  7. jprad

jprad

Uh, how does it help the current unemployment situation by offshoring more jobs?

As for the unions, they'll get theirs when their pension/health plans get trimmed...

#17     May 20, 2009
  8. Maybe I'm missing something here but this guys point seems to be that he isn't just going out business, HIS business is being given to another dealer.

If all the cars he sells are from bankrupt car companies, what is the 'other dealer' going to be selling that the guy in the story couldn't continue to sell?

#18     May 20, 2009
  9. The same thing happened over here in Raleigh. If the man wants to stay in business and he can sell cars then why can't Chrysler supple them?

It probably has to do with the quota that they impose on the dealer. No wonder the Chrysler are going out of business.

Moreover, if the dealer bought the franchise then Chrysler should have to buy it back.

I wouldn't take this lying down.

#19     May 20, 2009
  10. While I feel horrible for the dealer owner, if you tie yourself in with a sinking ship, then you sink too. It's just the way it goes.

It's truly horrible, but I don't see it as having anything to do with the government. It's bad Chrysler management that led everyone connected with it to get skunked.

#20     May 20, 2009