Lets talk drummers

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by bronks, Jun 14, 2006.

1. Agreed. We'll save it for the upcoming bass thread!:)

#21     Jun 15, 2006
  2. Not born or raised, but my Mom's from Kohala and I ended up here by choice after growing up overseas (government brat) and a stint in the Army.

Did you get tickets for U2? Still waiting for confirmation that they are indeed coming in December....

#22     Jun 15, 2006
  3. Nik, I grew up listening to Rush, AC/DC, Ozzy, Maiden, Metallica, Van Halen, Scorpions, Def Lep, Crue, Dokken, Boston, Journey (which reminds me - Neal Schon was AMAZING in concert), and most of the 80's metal/glam/hard rock bands you'd care to mention. And Zeppelin of course! I liked the Nuge to some extent, am crazy about the Police, and go through love/hate phases with U2.

As for guitarists, I adore Satriani and Johnson, especially their mellower stuff.

I had a Tama Royal Star kit in the Army and had a blast. I was never that great, just straight ahead simple shit a la Phil Rudd. Haven't touched a set in over a decade, though.

The guitar playing is going fine. Slow but a lot of fun. I've got Power Tab and Guitar Pro software which helps a lot. My main drawback is lack of time to really practice as much as I want. I'm very happy with my Ibanez S470 and am looking to get a lower-end acoustic like a Takamine G series, probably the new G340SC.

I'd like to be able to play Rik Emmett's Midsummer's Daydream within a year's time. JZ says I should be able to do it by then, but maybe he has more confidence in my ability than I do!!

You, JZ, and any other guys who have played in bands and gigged extensively should start a thread on your experiences, i.e. the groupie scene. :)

Peace,
    H

p.s. What's your take on Geddy Lee?

#23     Jun 15, 2006
  4. geeeezzzzzzzz there edith..... dammit pabst that was going to be my contribution. about 3/4 into the song...always loved that part.

ok... now i have to go shower (& scrub) for agreeing with pabst.

hey, anyone remember Mothers Finest?

#24     Jun 15, 2006
  5. Danny Seraphine (Chicago): He had a seemingly infinite variety of styles he used song to song, album to album.

Floyd Sneed (Three Dog Night): Very unorthodox approach to his music.

Hal Blaine (session drummer): An amazingly long list of Top 40 hits in the 60's and 70's.

Jeff Porcaro (session drummer, Toto): He picked up where Hal Blaine left off.

Danny Carey (Tool): Lightening quick; fantastic rhythms.

#25     Jun 16, 2006
  6. Still a bit off-topic but I can't help answering.

I grew up listening to Rush and Zep - they were the twin Gods in my pantheon.

Geddy? What can I say, he was a hero to me as a kid. Seeing him play the bass and play the Taurus pedals and sing those vocals all at the same time... blew me away. Another thing about Geddy is that he had a signature sound. That Rickenbacker just sounded like him, and for years he made sure that Rush bass tracks were always recognizable. He got away from it a bit when Fender made the Geddy Jazz bass, but he eventually returned to the Ricky sound. The power trio was the perfect showcase for his melodic style with those moving lines, since he could take as much room as he wanted. You'll notice that he used the instrument as a counterpoint to his voice - in tunes like Big Money, Red Barchetta and so many others, the bass lines move in the space between the vocal lines of each verse. He influenced a generation of players. Some people aren't aware how huge they are in Europe and elsewhere.

#26     Jun 16, 2006
  7. Pekelo

Pekelo

My fav drummer is Dave Grohl for coming out from behind the drums and playing guitar! :)

Seriously, I dislike Nirvana (most overrated band ever) and like Foo Fighters, but anyway, this thread is about drummers.

I think comparing drummers is even harder than judging other instrument players, imho...

On the Vai concert the drummer came out to a small drumset and stayed standing, and with Vai they were responding to each other's melody (he was playing notes) back and forth. It was excellent!!

I think he was the one I am talking about:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=31c-FL0ZlZ0&search=vai drum solo

His name is Mike Mangini and I am not a drummer expert, but people on Youtube say his one handed drumroll is faster than most people's two-handed...

P.S.: Again, no links in a thread about music... :(

#27     Jun 16, 2006
  8. Neil Peart

and.....

Mike "Dr. Octopus" Portnoy.

Probably the most talented drummer today.

Portnoy is not Peartish. That would be like calling Satriani a "Malmsteen clone"...

But, like Satch and Yngwie they are both at the top of the food chain in technique and talent.

Mike's band Dream Theater is one of the best imho.

#28     Jun 16, 2006
  9. From a technical standpoint... they're definitely up there. I like to hear some vocal harmonies though, which most hard rock artists lack. We need a technical band with the vocal and songwriting ability of the Beatles or the Eagles.

#29     Jun 16, 2006
  10. bronks

bronks

Nah, I'm not a big U2 fan 'cept for maybe "Bullet the Blue Sky" and "New Years Day" tracks.

I was raised in Hilo on the Big Island. Live in Honolulu now. Had my stint in the Marines.
    ------------

One of the drummers I forgot to mention is Dale Bozzio. Although he's gone off the deep end lately (just kidding) I really like drummers that use their chops for tastefulness and accents... he's one of 'em. "Mental Hopscotch" comes to mind.

Another is, and I think he's been mentioned, is Omar Hakim. Just about all tracks on the "Lets Dance" album by Bowie, is a veritable clinic on tasteful, solid, rock/pop drumming. Once again, production on that album is superb. Listen to how "open" his base drum is. Not too much. Not too little. Juuuust right!... Bonus is you get SRV on geeetar.

#30     Jun 16, 2006