Lets talk about afterhours trading

Discussion in 'Trading' started by eagle488, Oct 18, 2006.

Should I keep my "DO NOT TRADE IN AFTERHOURS" sign up?

1. Yes, keep the sign up.

14 vote(s)
    63.6%
  2. No, take it down.

8 vote(s)
    36.4%
  1. Here is SNDK - SanDisk afterhours.

Wow! There was a huge drop from 61.59 to 55.5. Then there was the green. Minutes later it surged to 58 and some change. Then came the staircase walkdown to 55.0 followed by another staircase up to 56.50. Then followed by a drop down the staircase to 53.00.

I guess the earnings were released and then the call started. Somewhere on the call, someone did not like something.

#11     Oct 20, 2006
  2. Here is Broadcomm afterhours. At 5pm, all of a sudden it started selling off as if people were expecting Broadcomm to wreck. Then I am guessing the conference call had calmed people down. Still, it did appear jittery after the call.

This would have been a successful afterhours trade.

#12     Oct 20, 2006
  3. Is it me, or does everybody on ET know somebody who makes a gajillion dollars a day with almost no drawdown doing stuff that's normally near-impossible, lol

#13     Oct 20, 2006
  4. if you mean AH in equities ... why yes .. .this is tricky

I sometimes find free money but
    the majority of my AH trading is in futures

( also tricky at times )

#14     Oct 20, 2006
  5. Neet

Neet

AH its quite simple, it almost always offers an opporunity to succeed if you got the stomach and the balls for it.

Just need to make sure the security has liquidity otherwise it might bite you back hard.

#15     Oct 20, 2006
  6. Here is a followup on San Disk.

This would have been a very tricky afterhours play.

#16     Oct 20, 2006
  7. Sorry, wrong barchart. This is the real one on SanDisk.

#17     Oct 20, 2006
  8. Here is a followup on Broadcomm. Another very tricky afterhours trade. You had to get in on the initial dump and then exit minutes later otherwise you would have been stuck on the otherside of the trade if you held overnight.

#18     Oct 20, 2006
  9. This premarket Caterpillar trade would have been an ABSOLUTE DISASTER. If you tried to get in at 63.5 thinking the falling was done, you would have felt some pain. However, who knows. This still might recover during the day or the next few days.

I own shares of Caterpillar in my 20 year portfolio.

#19     Oct 20, 2006