Let's see how socialized medicine is doing -- Oh, you have to self-fund your surgery

Discussion in 'Politics' started by gwb-trading, Aug 2, 2021.

1. jem

jem

1. yeah private sort of... it is rigged via govt regulation against the pubic.

2. Now... regarding outcomes... my wife works with babies and kids in NICUs.

Many countries do not save babies if they under a certain weight or ages... plus we get sick babies from other countries...

Our care is the most advance care in the world...and it works.
    We can save 22 and 23 weekers..... normal gestation is what 40 weeks. Most countries would even consider trying to save them when they are more than a few weeks early. Which of course improves those countries stats.

(I note... that the less mature babies are the probability of a worse outcome goes up.)

I would if you dig into those other stats... you find the same issues frequently.

#21     Aug 3, 2021
  2. piezoe

piezoe

Wow!!! only max of 20,000 Pounds (~28,000 $; less than a new car) compared to $123,000 for ave cost of coronary bypass surgery in the U.S. in 2018!!! (That's ~$142,000, inflation adjusted to 2021!) "Bring on single payer", I say. It can't happen soon enough! I tried to get an appointment with a dermatologist three weeks ago, was told the earliest he could see me would be mid September. Hope there is no Melanoma brewing! In the meantime, I may have to self-fund my trip to Canada to see a dermatologist. :D

Last edited: Aug 3, 2021
    #22     Aug 3, 2021
  3. Mercor

Mercor

Our health care rankings are pretty good considering the condition of the citizens
    No NHS system could do better if their population was as fat as ours
    Globally, 39% of adults are overweight and 13% are obese, USA is 70%
    upload_2021-8-3_15-34-8.png

Last edited: Aug 3, 2021
    #23     Aug 3, 2021
    smallfil likes this.
  4. piezoe

piezoe

Did you have France in mind?

#24     Aug 3, 2021
  5. piezoe

piezoe

I figured it out years ago, and I'm not even a caveman. Capitalism can never succeed in a market where both the buyer and seller are not free to walk!

#25     Aug 3, 2021
    Ricter likes this.
  6. piezoe

piezoe

The common tactic of "conservatives" both in the U.K. and in the U.S., if they can't get their way in one fell swoop (or one swell foop!) is to ruin anything they don't like bit by bit. Then they'll say, "see, I told you it wouldn't work". They are taking that approach to social security. They repeatedly failed to privatize it by handing it over to Wall Street, so now they are trying to slowly strangle it by refusing to vote, year after year, for the Trustee's recommended increases in contribution rates. Eventually they will say , "see I told you it would go broke! The only way to make it succeed is to privatize it." Now they are using the piecemeal destruction approach on Obama care, which they inflicted a near mortal wound on when they refused, with help from Democrat Baucus, the hero of the Pharmaceutical and Insurance Industries, to allow the "Public Option" to be included. Then the went to Court to give states the right to opt out of Medicaid expansion, leaving millions making too little to qualify for premium subsidies and too much to qualify for medicaid. Then they refused to enforce the insurance mandate. They'll make sure that no Democrat initiative can succeed to its fullest extent, then they'll say, "See I told you it would never work."

#26     Aug 3, 2021
    Bugenhagen, Ricter and Cuddles like this.
  7. smallfil

smallfil

Yeah, let us see how Obamacare results in better care for everyone? It is a fallacy. People have to pay up and the bills will go higher. Doctors are retiring in droves, refusing the paltry Medicare reimbursements they are getting, not even enough to cover their overhead. A lot of doctors now work for HMOs and PPOs and get paid a salary so that, they do not deal with the overhead anymore. Of course, they see maybe, 200 patients a day at 10 minutes each patient. My doctor used to see me for an appointment for atleast, 20 minutes before Obamacare, now maybe, 5 minutes tops. I will try to take care of myself because the medical bureaucracy will kill you at some point. You can only ration medical services to some point. Add to that disinformation and lies of the CDC and extreme liberal media hacks. What could go wrong?

#27     Aug 3, 2021
  8. Cuddles

Cuddles

[​IMG]

#28     Aug 3, 2021
    piezoe likes this.
  9. piezoe

piezoe

Open most undergraduate texts in Economics and you can read about "Regulatory Capture." The U.S. System of Medical Care is the poster child for "Regulatory Capture." There can be no better example of its pernicious effects.

#29     Aug 3, 2021
  10. Ricter

Ricter

Imo this is the tactic of the plutocrats, not conservatives, though we know plutocrats mainly use the republican party to practice their greed.

#30     Aug 3, 2021
    piezoe likes this.