Let's run off all the worthwhile posters , asap

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by 777, Nov 19, 2017.

1. Sig

Sig

Quora has a pretty good system that virtually eliminates trolls. Although it's not the whole system, allowing downvoting of threads which eventually get's a response collapsed and requiring an extra click to open it would go some way toward filtering obnoxiousness. One of the problems with putting someone on ignore is that we have some characters here who are obnoxious but do have some useful insights. It would be nice to have a way for the community to filter them only when they're being obnoxious. Collapsing threads is a good way to do it because the info isn't banned or removed, it's just minimized.

#31     Nov 24, 2017
  2. truetype

truetype

Yes, and has resulted in anonymous trolls driving off quality real name contributors. Similar to videogaming communities.

#32     Nov 24, 2017
  3. Pekelo

Pekelo

So let me summarize this:

One guy starts an appreciation thread for Xela, using a faulty argument, and in the end Xela stops posting here. Maybe less appreciation is needed...If my dyslexia made Xela to run off, my bad... :)

Apparently Xela never heard of people pretending to be somebody else on the internet, because everything is true, what is posted...Some people need to grow thicker skin and there is a feature called Ignore, people need to use it more often.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2017
    #33     Nov 24, 2017
    Stocktracker likes this.
  4. newwurldmn

newwurldmn

And there are stories of real name trolls driving off anonymous contributors on this site.

#34     Nov 24, 2017
    speedo likes this.
  5. 777

There are excellent threads that attract malicious trolls so I don't think downgrading threads that attract trolls is best.

But it is possible I don't fully understand how your idea works.

And there probably variations of your idea, as well.

Anyway.. I sure do agree with your sentiments.

#35     Nov 24, 2017
  6. 777

Some people need to show more class, especially toward prolific and highly respected postets who continually try to be helpful.

#36     Nov 24, 2017
  7. Overnight

Overnight

I disagree here. Video game communities have thicker skins. Just the nature of the beast in those places.

Trolls do not drive people away from communities... They drive away people who do not have real interest in said community in the first place. Anyone who believes in and maintains their station with the community will not "run away" at the first sign of "trouble".

Eventually, it is the troll who tucks tail and runs, to find other game to prey upon.

*wink*

Hell, you should have seen the video game forums for the early MMORPGs like UO, EQ, NWN, and then the FPS forums for the old Wolf-3D, Quake, Diablo forums. And the BBSes before it, like GeNiE and CompuServe. And the dial-ups BBS before them, with SysOps and CoSysOps. Brutal sruff.

No worries, this place is cake. Just need to use discernment.

#37     Nov 24, 2017
    themickey likes this.
  8. Overnight

Overnight

Maybe Xela is on a holiday break? Not everyone posts here every day. Pek, time for you to take a relaxing break and start hitting some serious nog! 151-base, whoooo!

#38     Nov 24, 2017
  9. Sig

Sig

It's just the person's post in the thread that gets collapsed, the thread remains the same.

#39     Nov 25, 2017
    777 likes this.
  10. 777

Cool!

Thank you for doubling back and teaching me something.

#40     Nov 25, 2017