Let's put this fire out w/gasoline

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Cuddles, May 22, 2017.

1. Tsing Tao

Tsing Tao

Ah, so I assume an arrest of "potential patriotic independent hackers" is pending? That would be a great help to your cause. If we could get our hands on those guilty parties, we could interrogate them and we might actually have something.

What do you suppose the chances are?

#51     Jun 1, 2017
  2. exGOPer

exGOPer

Comey to testify on June 8

#52     Jun 1, 2017
  3. Cuddles

Cuddles

If such arrests were made I'd chalk them up to being scapegoats. I'd never believe such story coming from the Kremlin, but I wouldn't expect them to pull such an unsophisticated stunt....that's 3rd world corruption chit.

Also, I've got ublock origin (extension on chrome) running on the background. It's an ad-blocker but maybe it's allowing me to read the online newspapers you can't access?? Just FYI.

#53     Jun 1, 2017
    Tsing Tao likes this.
  4. Tsing Tao

Tsing Tao

Interesting, I will certainly check out the ublock. I'm on a work computer, not sure I can add it. But I'll try.

Thanks for the tip.

Edit: Whaddya know? It worked. I can now read those links. Thanks, mate.

#54     Jun 1, 2017
  5. Max E.

Max E.

The oither thing you can do with Washington Post and some of these places that want you to pay, when you click on an article is simply hit the stop button as soon as the article loads, but before the subscribe option loads.

Ive been doing this for years with washington post, click on it, then hit stop before it tries to force you to subscribe then you can read the article for free. My way of sticking it to the man, It will be a cold day in hell before i pay for a political news service with so many doing it for free. :D

#55     Jun 1, 2017
  6. Cuddles

Cuddles

I suspected as much, let's see how long before they figure it out and put a stop to it. I get subscription requests occasionally on the NYT but thought it was because of some arbitrary limit they had. Maybe I just had ublock turned off.

News sources are shooting themselves in the foot by restricting access and helping the case of lunatics w/a voice and a youtube channel. They should figure out a better way to get revenue.

Back on topic:
    http://thehill.com/policy/national-...farage-person-of-interest-in-fbi-probe-report

The morbid side of me wants this to be a Russian plant whose objective was to break the EU and compromise America. This is just fantasy of course, but Kim Philby, the Cambridge Five, Aldrich Ames & Robert Hanssen are interesting reads.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2017
    #56     Jun 1, 2017
  7. exGOPer

exGOPer

Just use incognito mode.

#57     Jun 1, 2017
  8. Max E.

Max E.

Do you know if Ublock also blocks videos? like ive got ghostery and adblock, but they seem to be on too those 2.

So on sites like mediaite or breitbart i cant even click on a video unless i pause it so sometimes its just annoying having them running cause you end up having to turn them on and off all the time.

#58     Jun 1, 2017
  9. Tsing Tao

Tsing Tao

The ublock app has a power button that you can click and turn it off if you think it's causing a problem with a particular site.

#59     Jun 1, 2017
    Max E. likes this.
  10. Cuddles

Cuddles

The reason I got it was to skip youtube ads. It works on pretty much all video platforms as far as I've seen. Unless the advertisement is "shot" w/the content. You'll get the occasional "we notice you have ad-blocker active so turn it off" message, but I generally avoid giving those sites my viewership unless it's really unique content. It's pretty good when watching free shows on fox or AMC or something.

I ditched ad-block because it stopped working on youtube.

ad block pus is making money off holding sites hostage to get removed from their blacklist (actually brilliant). I was never real happy w/ghostery eithers. U block seems to be ok so far (1 yr +)

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy...-starts-selling-ads-but-only-acceptable-ones/

Last edited: Jun 1, 2017
    #60     Jun 1, 2017
    Max E. likes this.