Let's play "teach IronFist how to use volume in his trading" (lots of pics)

Discussion in 'Trading' started by IronFist, Aug 26, 2008.

Is volume histogram useful in your trading?

1. Yes - it is useful to help predict price action

57 vote(s)
    60.6%
  2. No - it's as useful as random distribution

37 vote(s)
    39.4%
  1. Zodiac4u

Zodiac4u

Thank you, But I have never needed to read other peoples research. I guess that's why its taken me more years to learn. But that's just a me thing.

#61     Dec 26, 2008
  2. rc5781

rc5781

me like volume (1 min on the ES)

#62     Dec 26, 2008
  3. =================
    Helpful points,Z4;
    not sure you meant to say ''volume spike on most peaks AND PULLBACKS''

Even on 20 day average volume, havent really noticed volume spikes on pull backs....But still overall helpful.

And sounds like you are talking irregular hours, on derivaties;
    volume may be more helpful on those ;
    than high volume stocks[NY, NasdaQQQ....]
    or low volume real estate[not much volume on re required for good profit]

Some overlap & unity for sure;
    but stocks & their players differ from derivatives much,
    & real estate volume differs much from the 2 above...................:cool:

#63     Dec 26, 2008
  4. Zodiac4u

Zodiac4u

sorry about my grammar and spelling and yes that is what I meant. In the past I have always been challenged by the difficulty of reading volume for directional purposes. But not anymore. off hours is the training ground for learning how volume works. Volume and closing prises is key for most fade entries. I am not a stock guy I really cant confirm the other without witnessing it first hand. But I have worked with my wife on her investments and technical analysis is still the same. Thus that being said I would think that it applies to stocks as well because with most turning points you will see high volume spikes! The term High volume spikes is a relative statement. what makes it high is what follows the spike. If you get a higher volume spike with a weak close followed by consolidation with weak volume you have a top or a base. If you are a pivot guy and the the pattern is at a resistance point than the chances are that its a top and we will look for a pullback. The examples I am giving are derived from a 1min chart for day trading purposes only!

#64     Dec 26, 2008
  5. From your comments, I gather that you haven't started trading with real money yet Z4

regards
    f9

#65     Dec 26, 2008
  6. Zodiac4u

Zodiac4u

Your a funny guy! I can tell Santa hasn't been good to you and I can understand why. But If your not a believer than that's your problem not mine.

#66     Dec 26, 2008
  7. Z4

It is not about me, it is all about you.
    You are obviously above noobie level and you seem to have put in some hard yards to gain a working knowledge of volume.

Good on you ... keep going, because you are on the right path .... you need to push on through this level and gain a clearer understanding of volume and where it stands in relationship to price.

regards
    f9

#67     Dec 26, 2008
  8. Finally, someone got it right...:cool:

#68     Dec 26, 2008