Let's play "teach IronFist how to use volume in his trading" (lots of pics)

Discussion in 'Trading' started by IronFist, Aug 26, 2008.

Is volume histogram useful in your trading?

1. Yes - it is useful to help predict price action

57 vote(s)
    60.6%
  2. No - it's as useful as random distribution

37 vote(s)
    39.4%
  1. What do you mean "areas of change?"

The way it's colored by default is a bright green bar on an up candle and a dark green bar on a down candle.

How are you suggesting I color it instead?

#21     Aug 26, 2008
  2. That looks similar to my volume indicator I made that I said "almost works."

I don't have up tick/down tick volume available to me, tho :(

#22     Aug 26, 2008
  3. Why not? At what timeframes does volume become useful?

#23     Aug 26, 2008
  4. The only thing I've ever come up with that almost makes volume useful for trading is this.

Basically the difference between up and down volume. I colored the candles based on this.

But it's still useless. Trading based on these signals = loss (so do the opposite, lol).

#24     Aug 26, 2008
  5. Points in time where the trends (on the time frame you monitor) changes from one direction to another.

Forget the default setings of the software used. Program the correct settings yourself (if possible). If not, use different software which allows for changes to how a trader wants to color their Price and Volume Bars.

First, choose a set of colors which easily differentiate direction (I use Red for down; Black for up). Next, determine how your software colors the bars, and compare those settings to how the market actually moves. You should find an error in the software defaults, and you can then go about the task of correcting those errors.

I'll search for the link where I outline correct settings and send it your way once I locate it.

Edit: You'll also need to use a time chart. I use a five minute ES.

- Spydertrader

#25     Aug 26, 2008
  6. lindq

lindq

There is nothing that volume tells you that isn't already revealed in price levels on short term charts. Look at any volume study, including that on your chart, and you will see the point.

I dare say that you could take any candlestick chart and draw your own volume moving average from your imagination, and be close to the mark. Sharp price moves are accompanied by rising volume, tight trading ranges are accompanied by flat volume.

It's all in the rearview mirror.

#26     Aug 26, 2008
  7. If you did not read or understand my posts I will explain further, but I thought I was pretty clear?

I am in complete agreement with the statements made by lindq; he sounds like a trader who has done some research on volume.

#27     Aug 26, 2008
  8. There actually is a lot of information in that study.

You just have to look for it to see it.

In fact I see three really solid trades on the chart, based on your study ... how's about you give us the code, and I'll show you what they are and how to find them. :D

#28     Aug 26, 2008

9. Oh.

I thought you were saying there is one specific correct way to do it. I can color volume however I want on my chart, and if I couldn't modify the volume study, I could just write my own for special colors or whatever.

When you say "up," do you mean an up candle, or a volume bar that is higher than the previous volume bar?

My software colors bars by default like this:

bright green bar = up candle
    dark green bar = down candle
    Thanks, I'll look for it.

#29     Aug 26, 2008
  10. I see 3 really awesome trades in there, too. And a bunch of really crappy ones.

Are you saying that the 3 really awesome trades were identifiable from the bad ones before the fact?

#30     Aug 26, 2008