Let's Play B*A*R*R*O*N*S!

Discussion in 'Trading' started by stonedinvestor, Dec 2, 2006.

1. Genomic was nice today he stayed quiet till 11:00 before sprinting up another 8%! This stock has closed at successive highs 4 days straight and still no one I know knows about it. Lots more upside> first real pullback I want more, I have FAR to little right now to make a difference... why is always that way?

#11     Dec 4, 2006
  2. WHERE'S MY BOSTON SCIENTIFIC LOVE?

That's right folks back from the deader than dead and called here first! Do we see a print high into the $16's,
    did the stonedinvestor get you ahead of this or what?

We play the Barrons game for a reason to make $, I go pretty deep with the research> the least you can do is write back and tell me how you see things playing out.
    ~stoney

#12     Dec 5, 2006
  3. WHERE'S MY GENOMIC HEALTH LOVE?

Given to you this weekend @ $20 hitting $23 presently
    does anyone out there enjoy stonedinvesting...?

#13     Dec 5, 2006
  4. Make that $24 on GHDX UP close to 20% since Monday... why is no one clapping? I've told you that it could go to $50 and should go to $40 and WILL go to $30 that's $6 more bucks if any ET's care.....

#14     Dec 6, 2006
  5. Mvic

Mvic

Nice calls SI, here is your applause clap clap clap :)

#15     Dec 6, 2006
  6. OK Stoney you got my attention now. Any more recs? I have a little speculative cash to play with :D

TS

#16     Dec 6, 2006
  7. Trendsailor I'm feeling " healthy " these days the one stock that has caught my eye & I've been tracking but not yet committing is Cholestech <CTEC>. A brief synopsis:

Cholestech Corporation was incorporated under the laws of the State of California in February 1988. The Company is a provider of diagnostic tools and information for immediate risk assessment and therapeutic monitoring of heart disease and diabetes. It currently manufactures the Cholestech LDX® System, which includes the LDX Analyzer and a variety of single-use test cassettes and market the LDX System in the United States, Europe, Asia, Australia and South America. The LDX System, which is waived under the Clinical Laboratory Improvement Amendments, allows healthcare providers to perform individual tests or combinations of tests with a single drop of blood from a fingerstick within five minutes. The Company's current products measure and monitor blood cholesterol, related lipids, glucose and liver function, and are used to test patients at risk of or suffering from heart disease, diabetes and liver disease. The LDX System can also provide Coronary Heart Disease Risk Assessment from the patient's results as measured on the lipid profile cassette. The Company also markets and distributes the Cholestech GDXTM System under a multi-year global distribution agreement with Provalis Diagnostics Ltd. The Cholestech GDX is a hemoglobin A1c testing system that is also waived under CLIA and is used to measure A1C in less than five minutes using a single drop of blood from a fingerstick. The quantitative measure of A1C is well-established as an indicator of a patient's long-term glycemic control. The Company specifically targets its products for markets outside of traditional hospital or clinical laboratories through its worldwide network of over 85 distributors. Its primary market is the physician office laboratory market, which consists of approximately 106,000 sites operated by physicians or groups of physicians that are registered with the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services. Sales of the Company's products to international markets represented 13% of its revenue in fiscal year 2006. While a majority of such sales are in Europe, it is expanding into Asia, and South America. The manufacture and sale of the Company's products are subject to regulation by numerous governmental authorities, principally the FDA and corresponding state and foreign regulatory agencies. As of March 31, 2006, the Company employed 212 full-time associates.

What I like obviously is the quickness of the test and the fact that the Dr can immediately move on to treatments in the same visit. The stock has exploded out of an extremely long base going back 4 years with rising bottoms and rising tops. I'm looking for any type of $16 handle. Trading target after that would be $19.50 and then a retest of the 2001 all time high of $27. I actually think it could blow through $27 in a years time-- check the financial and you'll see something off for a small diagnostic play It Makes money! It has Pe! Albeit a high one. The Co is expanding into Asia which is always a good thing.

A more spec play is Cambridge Heart <CAMH> they are the proud owners of a simple, noninvasive test to predict who would benefit from receiving an pacemaker what's interesting is their test also shows who would not react well and thus stops unnecessary procedures- Medtronic and BSX don't like that part! Or the Dr's who preform these operations so there are some headwinds here but a recent study Jan 2006 validated CAMH's EKG machine that tests for microvolt-T-Wave alternans (MTWA) They have the only patent!
    Who would want this to go into everyday use-- well the HMO's of course! Medicare made a national decision to cover the test! Only CAMH's test by the way, this creates a very nice barrier to entry. Other clinical trials are nearing completion. The catch here is the stock was 25 CENTS this year! And is now at a 5 year high. I have a position at $3.20 ~stoney

#17     Dec 6, 2006
  8. Thanks Stoney - I like Cholestech Corporation but their technology looks too good. I mean, they are going to make it too efficient for doctors to double dip on office visits and follow ups and the whole process overhead game that all the medical community play. The efficacy and efficiency of their product could be going counter culture to the good ol boy club that sustains the family doctor tradition and they may be less willing to use the products unless insurance providers get into mandating how to practise medicine. There is a huge cultural war and food fight going on in medical - I am not sure I want to be on the "bleeding" edge of that wave.

But its certainly worth considering getting a small position in my portfolio. I'll look into it. Frankly, though I have somehow managed to develop a huge portfolio (all long) with many different stocks (and many derivatives plays as well). I had a lot of sidelined cash in 5% money market from the shakeout after May and have been buying up bargains like mad. It's getting a bit challenging to keep track of it all and remain on top of news releases and earnings reports etc. But I can't complain since 98% of it is way up. But cash reserves are getting a tad low now and I have some huge short option positions on the SPX index (which are winning) that have potential for large margin calls if they go were to suddenly against me. Oh well - one must be in the game to make money since sitting on it was too much of an opportunity loss in this bull run.

I also went ahead & bought some Genomic and bought a moderate block of Feb 17.5 Calls on Boston Scientific.

Thanks,
    TS

#18     Dec 6, 2006
  9. I bought bsx on 11/22 because it came up on my system as a buy. I did buy some jan 17.50 calls today because it seems like a pretty good risk that they will get a favorable report and besides you would never steer anyone wrong.:D

#19     Dec 6, 2006
  10. Chuckle, I am actually very much in the doctor's camp on the intrusion of the bureaucrats into their domain. I have some very talented and personally close medical doctor & surgeons who I socially hang out with and I get the whole story all the time. Frankly, with all the extortionists legal boys having their hands out looking for a piece of every procedure and the hospital administrators cutting back on equipment and quality it does not surprise me that many doctors are just opting out and getting out of the profession to consult or do other things.

We have a mess brewing in our country. All I see is more and more 3rd world doctor's coming in to fill in the shortages at lower pay. Insurance ccompanys are compensating on profi erosion with ever increasing deductables, ultra high out of pocket insurance co-pay maxs and lifetime caps. We have a disaster on the near horizon in medical care while having the finest medical equipment on the planet. What a shame that its going to take a melt down to get enough attention to solve.

TS

#20     Dec 6, 2006