Lets make christmas 365/24/7 so retailers can just make $$$$$$$$

Discussion in 'Economics' started by S2007S, Nov 15, 2010.

1. S2007S

S2007S

Every year retailers are competing for the consumer to go and spend earlier each year, I say fuck it, lets have christmas year round.

Walmart Expands Black Friday Hours, Joining Others
    Published: Monday, 15 Nov 2010 | 10:32 AM ET
    By: Christina Cheddar Berk
    News Editor

You might want to make it a Thanksgiving Brunch this year.

That's because Wal-Mart Stores [WMT 54.07 -0.06 (-0.11%) ] and a number of other retailers are expanding their hours for Black Friday in the hopes of luring more shoppers who want to get a head-start on their holiday shopping.

Christina Cheddar-Berk
    Black Friday deal seekers will be lining up on early for bargains this year.

The world's largest retailer announced Monday that it will open its Walmart stores at midnight the day after Thanksgiving.

Sears Holdings [SHLD 69.04 -0.16 (-0.23%) ], which operates Kmart and Sears, recently said its Sears stores would be open on Thanksgiving for the first time in its history. The company already keeps its Kmart stores open during the holiday.

And Toys 'R Us, which has been battling to steal market share from Walmart, announced last week that it would open its stores at 10 p.m. on Thanksgiving Day.

Retailers know that many consumers plan to stick to their shopping budgets this year, and plan to shop sales in order to stretch their budget further.

Although Walmart's announcement gave a taste of some of the discounts it would be offering, like many other retailers, the company would be providing further news on discounts on its Facebook page and on its Web site.

Among the deals the company has revealed, is that it would be selling 32-inch Emerson LCD HDTV's for $198, wrangler jeans for $9, bikes starting as low as $29, a Kodak [EK 4.8498 0.2198 (+4.75%) ] C183 Digital Camera for $59, and last year's hot toy, Zhu Zhu Pets, will be priced as low as $4.

Walmart's also staggering some of its best deals, with some savings starting at midnight and others at 5 a.m.

2. Didn't Christmas have a religious connotation some time ago??

3. S2007S

S2007S

It "used" to but those times are long gone!!!!

I have friends that buy for dozens of people and spend thousands of dollars, I just sit back and laugh, they actually started buying hundreds of dollars worth of gifts for family and friends months ago and still aren't half way done. The traffic at the malls is insane where I am, sometimes taking 20 mins just to exit the mall during the shopping season.

4. olias

olias

I'm curious why this bothers you so much? Because you find it offensive as a Christian that the retailers use Christmas for financial gain? I'm not trying to discount your feelings about it---I really am curious why it bothers you so much.

In my way of thinking, to live in America is to accept that businesses, marketing, the retail sector is going to do everything they can to make profits. More kickass sales throughout the year not only doesn't bother me, I embrace it. Maybe the country needs more black Friday deals right now. Let's get that money flowing

5. Everyone should just stop exchanging gifts for Christmas. Instead, hang out with friends and family and get drunk.

6. the1

the1

Ain't that the truth Scat? It seems Christmas in America is a competition to see who can spend the most. It's supposed to be a celebration of Christ's birth but so many seem to forget that.