Lets hear from the successful shorts

Discussion in 'Trading' started by markd85, Jun 27, 2006.

1. qxr1011

qxr1011

IMHO fundamental analysis is not for shorting.

#21     Jun 28, 2006
  2. TTWO was down 20% in trading the night before and more in the AM.

guess thats not beaten up enough for ya.

#22     Jun 28, 2006
  3. really, check the homebuilding stocks ...

#23     Jun 28, 2006
  4. was down 22%+ on premkt and heavely bot, also the open was met by buyin'...cant see the point u are tryin' to makin'. i never said ALL gaps down will keep trendin' lower but odds are the big gaps will do; also there are a lot of parameters to keep in consideration, but i guess that is too hard for u to figure out.

#24     Jun 28, 2006
  5. 3 out of 5 times, the stocks I've either traded or watched have closed the gap within at least a month.

#25     Jun 28, 2006
  6. All you are doing is guessing on a pattern. I dont know if you watch the price action, but stocks gap up/down for a reason. To just pick a stock to short just b/c it gaps up (alot) seems rather risky.

But if you've made tens of thousands doing this strategy, then I wont say it doesnt work. I just wouldnt do it.

#26     Jun 28, 2006

7. there's a truth in it; many large caps are usually dumped right off the bat or after they go up 1% or so.

#27     Jun 28, 2006
  8. CAKE today was similar to mrvl yesterday. Gotta love gaps, especially out of 30min and daily bases.

#28     Jun 28, 2006
  9. ja, squeezed 1% out of it, but liquidated waay to soon...unfortunately i gave it all back and much more on altr and another couple of stocks...day to forget.

#29     Jun 28, 2006
  10. ====================
    Cash money , in cash markets that sounds fine, selling gap ups.

However when you have a strong technical & fundamentals like have seen in oil/gas markets , one could get slaughtered doing that.

Some perhaps were frightened when William O Neil mentioned [illustrated ]on his short selling book shorting @50dma area.

Actually that seemd to reinforce the idea;
    not a prediction.

Nitro mentioned ES crashing on Jan 20, 2006;
    oil-gas stocks gapped up Jan 20 ,uptrended for weeks, months.

Hope this helps;
    my comments include swing/position trading, non scalping daytrading

:cool:

#30     Jun 28, 2006