Let's get real about returns

Discussion in 'Trading' started by AAAintheBeltway, Jul 25, 2003.

1. There is a difference indeed, my Brother.

If you can manage not to lose anymore, there's no reason why you shouldn't be able to make 100%pa+ on a futures account, particularly cumulative and after you've been over your losing period for 6 months to 2 years.

Once you got it, you can just improve. Theoretically, anyway.

However, AAA, this be said, there still is a (not very fine at all! line between being a "good trader" and a "star".

To me (personal opinion), anything between 50% and 300% annual return is a "good trader". Anything above is "star".

Just have a look at the Robbins World Cup Standings: http://robbinstrading.com/worldcup/futures/standings.asp

Most "star" traders don't even bother going there, because of Robbin's commission structure etc. It's all just a gig to promote Robbins. Nevertheless, the results are real (they do the brokerage) and audited.

Many of the really big "star" traders were interviewed in "Market Wizards", a very englightening book on the subject.

I quote from the book, about Marty Schwartz (one of my rolemodels);
    <i>Schwartz trades independently from an office at home ... Solitary traders of this type, no matter how successful, are usually unknown to the public.

Schwartz, however, has attained a degree of fame through repeated entries in the U.S Trading Championships ... His performance in these contests has been nothing short of astounding.

In nine of the ten four-month trading championships he entered (typically with a starting stake of $400,000), he made more money than all the other contestants combined. His average return in these nine contests was 210 percent - nonannualized!

... In his single entry in a one-year contest, he scored 781 percent return.</i>

Period.

Average of 210% over 9 contests with 4 months duration. So, can we conclude that over a year, this would be 610% on average - NONannualized? (Or 1,944% annualized?)

So what's "realistic", folks? Huh? It has been done, so saying that is is "impossible" is nothing short of ignorant and immature. Never limit yourself to the upside in a competitive endeavour like trading. It's a recipe for failure / monotony.

Myself, I realized that limiting myself was one of my greatest habits and I've worked on overcoming it, the same way Buzzy has. I'm not a "star" trader yet myself, but I'm determined and set out to be one not too far in time from now. I will walk with an iron stride and not deviate or sleep until I realize my next goals.

Traders - Oooraaay!
    ~Scientist :cool:

#41     Jul 26, 2003
  2. I always read people saying this.

Blowing up is not a bad thing imo. The lessons gained are immeasurable and probably the key to raising one's tolerance to handling larger risk/return strategies successfully.

Although imo, blowing up using a low risk/low return methodology would have far more negative implications for the abilities of a speculator.

#42     Jul 26, 2003
  3. There are many factors you could see as "frontiers" to pass on your way up.

For example the "250-lot" rule on the ES. You cannot trade more than a 250-lot of ES at any one time. So if your margin is $10kpc, then you couldn't put anymore than $2,500,000 into a single trade.

Sounds funny to us, but certainly matters if you have to make returns trading a $100m-account... :)

However, I believe that if you can trade the big contract (S&P), your limits are much higher (as proven by Jones and Schwartz).

Also, if you're trading Forex, there shouldn't be any limits at all - No matter how big your size - It simply doesn't matter until you're turning over $500 Billion per trade. And this is not possible as a trader, unless you've made a detour via starting off in some kind of low-overhead industry (i.e. microcomputer software).
    So good luck getting there in the first place. :p

~Scientist

#43     Jul 26, 2003
  4. Yeah. So did Marty Schwartz.

But at the end of the interview, he had turned $40K into $20,000K ($20m) in about 10 years, and decided to "go a bit easier from now on".

Mind you, Schwartz was literally paranoid about heavily diversifying his assets, such as buying gold, real estate and all kinds of investments, in case a crash/disaster happened. These investments, obviously drawn from his trading account, wouldn't exactly have contributed positively to his 1,000%+ annual trading returns during that period.

~Scientist

#44     Jul 26, 2003
  5. How very true. Particularly when beginning as a trader.

The only problem is that your accountant simply always knows better :p

Lying to yourself, whichever way it may be in, is a terrible handicap and needs to be alleviated asap, or it will soon lead to failure in this business. The secret is to constantly and critically evaluate yourself, looking at net returns, gross returns, equity curve, annual performance, etc etc.

Just assume you want to go for a competition in a world cup soon (myself, I'm planning on it, too). With that competition in mind, how much self-evaluation would you have to do in order to find your weaknesses, improve them, and to find out if you'd have a chance?

-Plenty.

Peace, Brother phoenix
    ~Scientist :cool:

#45     Jul 26, 2003
  6. sempai

sempai

If it's a paper-trading world cup, you don't have to do any self-evaluation. Just trade with huge size and if you're lucky, you'll win. If not, you can just enter the next one and try again.

#46     Jul 26, 2003
  7. A very honest post about returns for a change.

#47     Jul 26, 2003
  8. True

True

True

#48     Jul 26, 2003
  9. True!

:)

#49     Jul 26, 2003
  10. Foz

Foz

Good point, candletrader. In fact, if Mr. Scientist is making money but only having tiny little drawdowns, he could be making so much more money if he leveraged up and stomached the larger drawdowns. 25% per year with a 5% max drawdown is equivalent to 100% per year with a 20% drawdown at 4X leverage. I'd rather have the 100% return, thank you.

#50     Jul 26, 2003