Let's get real about prison abuse

Discussion in 'Politics' started by AAAintheBeltway, May 6, 2004.

1. while acknowledging that what the americans did was wrong.....I have to ask: Where was the media outcry and demands for apologies when americans were dragged through the streets?? Where were the Arab nations then? ???????

#11     May 7, 2004
  2. What I am forced to conclude from all this is that the real problem was the pictures with the grinning female reservist. No pictures, no scandal.

Not one person here, or I might add in numerous conversations with Washington insiders, has said they objected to interrogating the prisoners in any way short of actual physical torture. One guy, a real died in the wool partisan Democrat, did object to the fact that a lot of the prisoners had been picked up at random, at least according to him they had been.

To me, this seems like a bad case of elevating appearance over substance. If you don't have a problem with prisoners being stripped and hooded, then why the big deal over a few pictures?

#12     May 7, 2004
  3. pierson

pierson

The problem is that this is a thing that should have never made it into the public eye. This should have been handled internally by the military. America is so self destructing, can you imagine a reporter from North Korea taking those pictures and putting those in the paper. That reporter would be dead, his wife and kids would be dead, his mother and father, aunts and uncles, nieces and nephews all would have their heads cut off for doing that crap.
    Now i know we are to set the standard for the world and America is pretty much a glass house for the world to see every little thing we do wrong. But this is war, and bad things happen in war, is it right? Obviously its not, but its sad to see reporters sell out their own country so they can make a dollar.
    Especially in a country where we are so tolerant of everything, oh you want gay marriages...ok. Oh you want to take God out of the government and the schools.....ok.
    Funny how people like that congressman only rise up about things that can make themselves look better when they can tear someone else down.
    Many times when i watch the news it reminds me of little kids running around in grown up bodies. I just can't imagine my grandfather being a sell out or turning his back on this country to make personal gain.

In everything we must check the motive.

pierson

#13     May 7, 2004
  4. Cutten

Cutten

If these photos were of US servicemen getting this treatment at the hands of Iraqis, what would be your reaction?

#14     May 7, 2004

5. well, in actuality.....they should be so lucky as to be treated this way....but your point is valid none the less

#15     May 7, 2004
  6. Cutten

Cutten

The USA signed the Geneva Convention, which expressly prohibits humiliating and degrading treatment of prisoners. Furthermore, Bush and senior army officials have condemned the behaviour, and gone to great lengths to explain that it does not in any way represent standard procedure. So unless they are lying, you are wrong.

#16     May 7, 2004
  7. A few observations:

There were more serious reports of rape, sodomizing, dogs bitting inmates, etc. Are these standard interogation practices?

Why would anyone document and take photos of these events?

Iraq was a full blown crisis before these photos were released. It's insane that even our legitimate interrogation tactics would become known to the Arab world via the mainstream media. We may be doing worst things to Saddam or to the guys at Gitmo, but why inflame an already dangerous situation? Rummy needs to go......

#17     May 7, 2004
  8. oh ya,

who ya gonna replace Rummy with..

#18     May 7, 2004
  9. I'm not sure these guys are entitled to Geneva Convention treatment. They are irregulars and not part of the force of a recognized government.

I didn't hear the Bush spin on this. Did he condemn the hazing, pictures etc. or the actual interrogation technique?

#19     May 7, 2004
  10. mark1

mark1 Guest

I feel sorry for USA people, really.
    Your government is doing everything is possible to put you in a really unsafe position.

#20     May 7, 2004