Lets compare obama to another famous black man

Discussion in 'Politics' started by 151, Nov 2, 2008.

1. This is going to sound very contradictory, but I believe it is quite true.

Americans will buy shoes because a great black athlete sells them, Michael Jordan.

Americans will buy shoes because a great white athlete sells them, Peyton Manning.

Is that racism?

No, racism is when someone makes a decision on the quality of a person or their ability based on the color of their skin.

People in the south like Colin Powell, some whites in the south like Obama. In some respects, there is greater racism in the north than in the south, but if we look to the number of black senators and congressmen compared to the percentages of black people in America...clearly there is a reason why we do not see appropriate representation of black politicians at this level of congress.

Why is that?

Is it because of racism, or is it because the parties themselves are racists and will not back the blacks who want to run for congress or the senate, or is it because the parties fear that the voters will vote on the basis of skin color and not on political qualifications.

I remember 20 years ago it was very hard to find a black head coach in the NFL. Now we have seen a super bowl where both coaches were black. In 20 years, that is some damn fine progress.

College athletics is doing a miserable job of allowing black head coaches to get a chance, but the college system is a good old boy system run to a great extent by the good old boy alumni association. In the past year, we have seen one black coach get fired (Carl Durrell) and now at Washington another black coach has resigned at the end of the year (Tyrone Willingham). What are the chances that another black head coach will take their jobs?

What an Obama victory will do for America is beyond anything else government could do to empower blacks and their thinking that the deck is perpetually stacked against them.

No longer can any black man say, and hopefully someday a black woman that "I can't be president because of the color of my skin."

Obama as a president will do more to inspire blacks than anything I can imagine, and I seriously doubt that Obama who was not spoon fed is going to want to coddle or spoon feed other black Americans.

He is the best thing that can happen in America to overcome the residual racism we suffer from, that holds back our country for both black and white people. It is the healing that has long needed to take place, and I believe Obama truly understands the opportunity he has to "make it right" by just doing the right thing.

I pray to God that if he does get elected, that he does not get killed. I don't care if they keep him locked up in a bullet proof glass cage to protect his life, because if he gets elected, and then killed by some white guy...then that would be the worst thing that could ever happen to the self esteem and sense of change in America.

MLK's assassination did more damage than people can imagine. It killed the hopes and dreams of many white and black Americans that we could one day rise above the pettiness of racial divides.

Obama is the promise of the chance for the US to once again become a United states and stop with all this divisiveness.

We are all on the same side actually. The enemy is within us in the name of ignorance, and outside of us in the name of nationalism by every other country that would have us fall like so many other empires.

United we stand, and together as racists we fall...

#11     Nov 2, 2008
  2. 151

ZZZzzz I understand what you are saying.

And as bad as this is going to sound, even though I agree with you, I am not going to vote for president to heal the racial wounds we do still have.

As important as the race factor is I (and I am white so I admit there is a chance I am biased) do not feel it is the number one most important issue.

Like you said we have made great strides in the past twenty years. We did that with out a black president.

By the way, Mississippi State has a black football coach!

#12     Nov 2, 2008
  3. ....and Mississippi State has a very good football team.

I can appreciate that you don't see the benefits from a black president as more important than other issues.

I actually don't see it as the number one issue, but I do hold the benefits of having a successful black role model as very important for helping all minority groups feeling empowered and thinking that their race, religion, or ethnicity would not be the reason they couldn't achieve their own American dream...

#13     Nov 2, 2008
  4. Personally, I believe that the KKK and other white racists should be backing Obama now. If the likeliest outcome (Obama victory) occurs, he will be entering the Presidency at a very challenging juncture in American history. Certainly, it's conceivable that things could look quite a bit worse in four years, regardless of who becomes President. If this should happen under Obama's leadership, we won't see a another black man as President for a long long time.

Caveat: the Diebold Accuvote-TS could potentially put the kibosh on this well reasoned strategy by flipping votes to the white guy, unbeknownst to the legions of proactive racists.
    http://itpolicy.princeton.edu/voting/

#14     Nov 2, 2008
  5. 151

blb,

I think their are members of those groups that might agree with you.

but the thing is their are also people out there that make descisions based on what is good for everyone. Not just what is bad for those they do not like.

It is strange that you say if you were those people you would want bad things for your advisaries.

#15     Nov 2, 2008
  6. Why do you think Obama is black? Just cuz he checked the - Race: Caucasian[], Asian[], Other[x] box?

Obama Momma
    [​IMG]

Could go either way...

#16     Nov 2, 2008
  7. I called my grandmother today (92). She lives in Durant Ms. I asked her what she intended to do on election day. She said vote for McCain. She gave me several reasons too. I asked her why wouldn't she just vote for Barak just because he is a black man. She said her gut doesn't trust him. She said he's, "polished but not experienced!"

It was an interesting comment to me in that this is what I've said of him all along. And it's what many of us are saying about him. We call it the "Jesse Jackson Effect." It's what white folks did back in the day when they wanted to hear a "cultured black man" speak on behalf of his peoples. The black monolith had to have ONE voice according to the media. The validattion of ability is couched in the statement, "must be right because he's there!"

I have no doubt that should Barak emerge the winner here we will be in a worse fiscal state in four years. And the cry will then be it's cause is residual and not implemented. I'll be structuring my portfolio to take advantage of all the turmoil and hence helping me maintain my solvency.

And in the passage of those four years, watch for the Jesse/Al coalitions to scream at the need to put on a full court press for striking at your fiscal pillars while the iron is hot. The myriad of once-upon-a-time-welfare programs will now enjoy titles such as "Community ReGrowth." "Citizen Empowerment," "Neighborhood Health Co-Op's" and/or many other robust sounding names. There will be at least two "help-the-poor-working-class" stimulus packages within the first 18 months of his term. Because working mothers and families need it!

And Chicago's political types were social partying/gathering this weekend (the black ones) in celebration of their coming appointments. I'll congratulate Arnie Duncan and a few others on Wednesday should this work Barak's way. There are two invitation-only Stepper set's planned too for all with the right connections. They're in the next three weeks and if you aren't at them, you ain't in! And know that Ayer's, Wright, Flager, Jones and many more that YOU don't know about (yet) are tentacled into the coming cash bevy. Operation Push and the rainbow? Don't fret, they're in line already.

I am ready to crack up as I watch all of the unsuspecting white people stand there in a fog. The disbelief for so many at the numbers of black folks who are already wringing their hands and chanting, "It's our turn now!" will provide priceless entertainment. Oh, and Daley will have all his federal funding assistance for the coming olympics should Chicago be victorious through the selection process. And know that should Barack win, Chicago will be victorious.

Sadly, in four years, black America will not have invested, saved or prepared for anything in any great numbers. They'll still call white folks racist under their surface. And dare I say it, the resentment will still be a foundation for the argument for more programs for the poor black people who were too far down to understand how to properly use the government assistance programs. There will be a calling for still more programs and dollars into the black community. And the rich white (right colored) folks will still be the villians they always were. Maybe one day they'll understand that it's not going to change among a certain segment.

Me? What will an Obama presidency do for me? Not too much. You see I don't depend on government programs. And I'm not part of the black networking groups (by choice) who pull each other through the mazes for accolades. You know, the ones who break the barriers and climb from their own efforts then start a black (excuse me, Minority) network group within to complain about not being able to make it. They constantly seek me out and tell me how valuable to their cause I'd be. They constantly tell me how much further along fiscally I'd be if it weren't for some veiled racism. I laugh politely!

One of the best the teltale signs for these wanna' be's? The college routing! There will be two years here, another year here and/or there, and then one year at a prestigue school for the ultimate degree. A quick appointment to an accredited company (the token experience route) where they will stay no more than two years. Usual tenure - 6 to 9 months work experience.

This will be augmented with minority/civil group participations and speaking engagements. Spending plenty of time attending the black conferences of necessity for cred. And there usually will be at least one book that they've written. Detailing this hard climb for the two years of world experience. All this is strictly for resume padding. They do mean well. But there's never any real experience within at least 50% of these types. They spend their validity time amongst white folks, just being cool! And white folks constantly buy it all. Hook, line and sinker! If you see this pattern, RUN!!!!

Meanwhile, I'll have adapted, prospered and continued to help some folks. Those who really don't buy the bull, and want a way out of the mess. :)

#17     Nov 2, 2008
  8. Personally, I think he's a mulatto.

#18     Nov 3, 2008
  9. Exactly. He's "claimed" by the blacks because they need an establishment hero and he looks "more black" than white.

Is a half asian?-half black (Tiger Woods) black, or asian? How do you figure race after centuries of inbreeding? Percentages?

I guess I don't know and don't care... :)

#19     Nov 3, 2008