let's assume Germans won't bail out

Discussion in 'Forex' started by filter, Apr 28, 2010.

1. 4EXJOE

4EXJOE

While I agree with this premise in general, I think you underestimate the Swiss Banking System a bit. There is a reason why they chose to forgo the the Euro and maintain the franc.

#11     Apr 28, 2010
  2. I hope you're right, for both our sakes...

BTW, I am told the SNB were parked on the bid in EURCHF this morning and apparently got filled in yards.

#12     Apr 28, 2010
  3. 4EXJOE

4EXJOE

Yep I saw the same. they are known to intervene and maintain. not even the skechiest bucket shops could penetrate that...

#13     Apr 28, 2010
  4. It's nice to have infinitely deep pockets, is all I can say...

#14     Apr 28, 2010
  5. 4EXJOE

4EXJOE

Agreed although we could see the matador bid if the SHTF.:D :D

#15     Apr 28, 2010
  6. Stok

Stok

NOK

#16     Apr 28, 2010
  7. As a european citizen (from one of the paying countries) i'm currently thinking about how to hedge against this clusterfk too. Obviously long the more stable ccys, but how/where? We won't be able to pay the italian and spanish bills too on top of Greece, so when the big european domino-day comes, the question is, which institutions have the least exposure to that shitstorm? Probably not the domestic banks.

#17     Apr 28, 2010
  8. filter

filter Guest

Gold looks like ready for the next leg up, buy GC might be not too bad.

#18     Apr 28, 2010
  9. Italy is the no. 2 sovereign issuer in the world, after the US, in terms of the amount of debt outstandind (arnd $1.4trn). If Italy goes, I'd suggest the choice of which bank to entrust your money to would be the least of your worries.

#19     Apr 28, 2010
  10. Dollar, US Treasuries, gold, Singapore Dollar look like decent bets IMO.

I would avoid commodity currencies as they are correlated with commodity prices and thus basically equivalent to being long risk. You don't want to be long risk when you've had a 13 month record rally in risky assets and a sovereign debt crisis & contagion is about to blow up in the EU and potentially beyond. Safe havens are the best play, not risky or high yield havens.

#20     Apr 28, 2010