Let Trade Run -- No Exit

Discussion in 'Risk Management' started by frostengine, Feb 22, 2012.

1. Eight

Eight

+1

#21     Feb 25, 2012
  2. ELR

ELR

I have talked to some pretty big traders who do this. They risk a small percent of capital and use super wide stops.

#22     Mar 27, 2012
  3. Ever try any volatility based stops?

#23     Mar 28, 2012
  4. I kind of have an idea:

how about just guess green bar and red bar.

before the opening, we guess it is a green bar day or a red bar day.

then based on the guess, if guess is a green bar, buy in the opening, sell at the closing. if guess is a red bar, sell in the opening, then cover at the closing

if day trade, use hourly bar, half hour bar to guess,...

#24     Apr 1, 2012
  5. I will ask this. In ES on the intraday. What would would be a profit target you can always take with open arms. For me it is 20 points. In CL it would be one dollar move. Lets me catch that once a day and close the trading platform then and there. You need to know where you are going. There is the desired profit and there is the profit target. They are not the same. In general you need to always have your eyes on the prize your profit target needs to move during your trade management. Trailing a profit target is just as valid as trailing a stop. Just like you put your last stand with a stop loss your desired profit is your last stand when it comes to profit.

When price moves strongly in your favor it makes sense to raise your TP, the closer it gets to your desired profit the slower it should rise.

With a stop loss. If price goes strong in your favor it should not rise as fast as TP, the more you get close to your desired profit, the faster it should rise. Its a dynamic dance of
    two horizontal lines, TP and SL. Think of it as a diagonal elipse, with sl on one side and tp on the other. Most of the times it will hit one of the edges and you will rarely get your desired profit target but even a third of that is great. Let the market surprise you to the better and not just for the worse.

#25     Mar 23, 2016
  6. Its a laid back approach that one can use with a big account. If you have a million dollar account in stocks, it quite simple to make 2k everyday on average with 3 hours of trading. And yes I suppose some big traders do just that.

#26     Mar 23, 2016
  7. If you using size and hitting margin constraints, take profit EOD. If you position size to play monthly charts, than profit taking could be months to let the trend maximize profits. You need the large winners to compensate for many small losses trying to find the correct trend entry point.

#27     Mar 24, 2016
  8. In my trades also often put stop loss but without target and will cut profit if update analysis already confirmed price will move vice versa, I am ever reading quotation cut loss early and let profit run

#28     Apr 3, 2016