Let rate the following API

Discussion in 'Automated Trading' started by ProgrammerGuy, Apr 22, 2008.

1. rosy2

rosy2

anyone know what's FIX message size relative to a specific brokers API like IBs?

#21     Apr 24, 2008
  2. Craig66

Craig66

FIX is a token separated, plain text protocol, just like the protocol between TWS and the API clients, each message may contain maybe half a dozen to a dozen tokens for basic trading. So size is not really an issue when most connections are in the megabit range and each message is like 1/10 of a KB.

#22     Apr 24, 2008
  3. RedRat

RedRat

ITG bought RedSky
    http://www.fow.com/Article.aspx?ArticleID=1382716

you can contact ITG but they are specializing in services for hedge funds. So they require your account to be ~10m. But there was a story at this forum that one guy contacted RedSky and opened account with just 100k. Search EliteTrader for detailes.

#23     Apr 25, 2008
  4. RedRat

RedRat

I am aware about two brokers
    VelocityFutures, trading only futures markets
    InteractiveBrokers for $100/month

May be you can find more searching the web
    http://www.fixprotocol.org/adopters/
    at the link above I did not find Velocity or IB, don't know...

#24     Apr 25, 2008
  5. GTS

GTS

#25     Apr 25, 2008
  6. jhucti

jhucti

#26     Apr 25, 2008
  7. Craig66

Craig66

IB FIX is only for order entry, all rest has to be done via the TWS API, God only knows why...

#27     Apr 25, 2008
  8. Sterling api - 3

It's just damn slow and ill written, not with speed in mind.

#28     Apr 25, 2008
  9. RedRat

RedRat

I suppose they send quotes through FIX very similar as TWS API does. That means you do not receive every tick, very bad for short-term systems. IMHO if you use IB it is better to develop using native TWS API.

#29     Apr 26, 2008
  10. I was trying to avoid broker APIs at any cost.

In my ATS I have implemented the position manager, use third party market data provider (through an abstract interface), and FIX for order routing, so it's completely broker independent.
    This way the only thing you need is simple FIX certification and configuration changes when you switch between brokers.

I believe this is the only way possible on the long run. When you need something done right, you have to do it yourself.

#30     Apr 26, 2008