Legit Prop Firms in NY or Chicago?

Discussion in 'Prop Firms' started by FuturesNoob, Mar 20, 2011.

1. I am looking to apply to a legitamite/ real prop shop in either NYC or Chicago.

I have done some research on a few firms- but would like to see overall what the collective thinks.

I am a recent graduate with no real trading experience.

Thanks for the help.

2. legit in nyc - just ask around - if you're new to the industry no legit place is going to hire you unless you lay down some serious cash and you talk like a punk. i would get a simulator if I were and track your own record for a while... a long while.

There are neighborhoods that are concentrated trading areas. everyone knows the union square shops like dimension, chimera, avatar, and AMR. they've been there for years. then you have a couple midtown places, and a few down town places like coastal, broad st, t3, and genesis. then if you go out to brooklyn you got the basement shops - mostly off shoots of hold. its not hard to find these places, why dont you start with daytraderjobs.com.

theres over 500 prop floors in ny - legit all depends on the deal they give you and what you are looking for - if you looking to rent a desk they have that. if you are looking for ultra low commissions, sure. if all inclusive bloomberg deals are your thing, no problem. perhaps leverage is you thing, or maybe a teach me to trade type of deal. maybe an execution system like redi or blackwood is your preference. the bottom line is they want to know if YOU'RE legit.

Thats traditional prop. then there are the thousands of little ny hedge funds that are prop.

3. Thank you so much for the insightful information.

I guess now my question is, which prop firm will I be able to learn the most from. I really want to learn the ins and outs, and not just get thrown around.

4. go to tradernarrative.com they have a list of all prop traders. call them and go and visit one by one and see which one best fits you.

good Luck