Legalised Prostitution

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Kensho, Feb 17, 2006.

1. #11     Feb 17, 2006
  2. Neodude

Neodude

Considering how much Valentines day cost this year, that is outright cheap.

#12     Feb 17, 2006
  3. ozzy

ozzy

"If you want to play you got to pay."

#13     Feb 17, 2006
  4. I assume most transplanted organs are from dying/dead organ donors (or really good friends) so I don't think me selling mine to the highest bidder would affect any of them because I'm not planning on giving mine away for free unless I die (in fact it might help someone else by removing one more person from the organ waiting list)

If I tried hard enough I could probably come up with a contrived example of how legalizing prostitution would indirectly (negatively) affect others too but I think that's a dodge. I think there are instances when you do want some govt to impose some morals otherwise you can end up with some pretty repulsive situations involving the exploitation of the poor.

#14     Feb 17, 2006
  5. MRWSM

MRWSM

Absolutely agree with getting paid for anything like that. Why not, the damn doctors are making half a million a year doing kidney transplants and blood transfusions. Why shouldn't someone get paid for donating anything including blood?

#15     Feb 17, 2006
  6. They don't call it the land of smiles for nothing. :)

I think that it is actually sad in many 3rd world countries that young girls get sold into the trade. I don't believe in gov't regulation, but think that the old desperate sick bastids that need to go to a 3rd world country to get laid by 13 year old girls are a bit twisted.

When I was last in Thailand, I read somewhere that in Chang Rai, the prostitutes had something like a 75% HIV+ rate.....thanks, but no thanks! That's not a healthy risk profile. Good luck to whoever is screwing thai hookers.

In the Patpong area in Bangkok, they actually hand out menus in front of the strip clubs with different positions and prices....The look on my wife's face as they handed them to me....priceless.

#16     Feb 17, 2006
  7. Excellent post.

#17     Feb 17, 2006
  8. Arnie

Arnie

Joke's on undercover deputies
    Spotsylvania snickers go global, but sex acts for arrests defended
    BY KIRAN KRISHNAMURTHY
    TIMES-DISPATCH STAFF WRITER
    Friday, February 17, 2006

RELATED
    Joke's on undercover deputies

Police: Massage case went too far

On-duty sexual activity defended

SPOTSYLVANIA -- Spotsylvania County authorities are enduring their share of ridicule for letting undercover officers sample the goods while rooting out prostitution at massage parlors.

"It's a dirty job [but] somebody's gotta do it. Can you imagine the waiting list?" conservative radio talk-show host Rush Limbaugh told listeners this week. "I bet there's no unemployment in Spotsylvania, Va."

A conservative Houston Web site, Lonestartimes.com, posted a cartoon of Clancy Wiggum, the bungling police chief from the TV series "The Simpsons," with its running commentary on the case.

The lampooning is not limited to the United States. A South Korean newspaper, The Chosun Ilbo, yesterday remarked on the quest for "incontrovertible evidence." It was the most-viewed story on the newspaper's Web site yesterday.

Spotsylvania authorities are defending their tactics.

"You do what you have to do to suppress the criminality," said Spotsylvania Commonwealth's Attorney William F. Neely, whose office authorized the sex acts as part of the investigation.

Neely has said authorities wanted to obtain evidence for a felony sex crime, rather than a misdemeanor prostitution charge arising from a verbal agreement, as authorities seek to shut down what they describe as a sophisticated money-laundering operation. He notes that authorities have been able to seize the assets of such business in similar cases in the past few years.

The Free Lance-Star news- paper of Fredericksburg questioned the tactics in an editorial, adding that the practices could further embarrass authorities if a defendant testified that the officer involved "was far from Spotsylvania's finest."

The practice, which The Times-Dispatch reported in 2003 in another Spotsylvania massage parlor case and which was detailed by The Washington Post on Monday in reporting on a current case, is not without precedent elsewhere. Similar tactics have been employed, but discontinued, in Phoenix, Louisville, Ky. and suburban Maryland.

"It happens all over the country," said Charlie Fuller, executive director of the International Association of Undercover Officers.

He applauded Spotsylvania's approach. "That's one serious prosecutor," said Fuller, a retired undercover agent with the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms.

A judge in the 2003 case in Spotsylvania forwarded charges to a grand jury during a hearing in which a detective testified that two women fondled him on separate occasions and attempted oral sex, making contact in one instance. He testified that he stopped the women before they went further, adding he wasn't sure how far to let them proceed. "I was new at this too," he testified.

Spotsylvania Sheriff Howard Smith says undercover officers receive no special training to prepare them for the sexual circumstances they might confront.

Fuller said many people wrongly believe that officers get a kick out of visiting the parlors.

"Those guys are not having fun. I guarantee you," he said. "But sometimes you gotta go the extra yard."

Contact staff writer Kiran Krishnamurthy at kkrishnamurthy@timesdispatch.com or (540) 371-4792.
    This story can be found at: http://www.timesdispatch.com/servle...TD_BasicArticle&c=MGArticle&cid=1137834156625

Go Back

#18     Feb 17, 2006
  9. traderob

traderob

Its not legal in Thailand, but tolerated; but is fully legal in New zealand.
    I don't see why USA keeps it illegal? But then I find it hard o understand why, for instance, Saudi Arabia has the laws it does.

Is it something to do with a worker-moralist mindset that wants to control the world (for their own good of course)?

#19     Feb 17, 2006
  10. No, it's not really 'for the greater good', and it's not really 'For The Children'.

The true reason behind prohibition of activities between consenting adults, was perfectly explained by Orwell in 1984:

'You understand well enough ~how~ the party maintains
    itself in power. Now tell me ~why~ we cling to power. What
    is our motive? Why should we want power? Go on, speak,' he
    added as Winston remained silent.
    [...]
    Nevertheless Winston did not speak for another moment or
    two.
    [...]
    <b>'You are ruling over us for our own good,' </b>he said
    feebly. 'You believe that human beings are not fit to govern
    themselves, and therefore -

He started and almost cried out. A pang of pain had shot
    through his body. O'Brien had pushed the lever of the dial
    up to thirty-five.

'That was stupid, Winston, stupid!' he said. 'You should
    know better than to say a thing like that.'

He pulled the lever back and continued:

'Now I will tell you the answer to my question. It is
    this. <b>The Party seeks power entirely for its own sake. We
    are not interested in the good of others; we are interested
    solely in power. Not wealth or luxury or long life or
    happiness: only power, pure power.
    </b> What pure power means you
    will understand presently. We are different from the
    oligarchies of the past, in that we know what we are doing.
    All the others, even those who resembled ourselves, were
    cowards and hypocrites. The German Nazis and the Russian
    Communists came very close to us in their methods, but they
    never had the courage to recognize their own motives. They
    pretended, perhaps they even believed, that they had seized
    power unwillingly and for a limited time, and that just
    round the corner there lay a paradise where human beings
    would be free and equal. We are not like that. We know that
    no one seizes power with the intention of relinquishing it.
    Power is not a means, it is an end. One does not establish a
    dictatorship in order to safeguard a revolution; one makes
    the revolution in order to establish the dictatorship. <b>The
    object of persecution is persecution. The object of torture
    is torture. The object of power is power. Now do you begin
    to understand me?'</b>

#20     Feb 17, 2006