Legal Question..

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by jimdaddy, Jul 20, 2009.

1. Since there was probably an application to fill out, did you indicate that you had a felony or not mention it?

Financial services almost always ask: Bankruptcy? Convictions? And they do background checks.

#21     Jul 21, 2009
  2. The application only asks about convictions, not pending cases

#22     Jul 21, 2009
  3. sjfan

sjfan

Are you the original poster? Didn't you say they canned you after you got the gig? Or do you mean they canned you while you are still finishing up your temp, before transitioning into a full time gig?

In any case, you got canned for being charged. That's pretty normal in the finance business. Just about every bank with a commercial line will do the same.

#23     Jul 21, 2009
  4. I think it's worth a phone call to a good lawyer.

If they offered a job, and you accepted, I think you were damaged in the sense that you then quit looking for a job. In other words, this costs you something. You don't say how long this period was between being hired and being informed you weren't hired. If it was brief, then your potential damages wouldn't be much obviously.

Frankly I don't think it matters that you are an ex-felon, or what their rules are. The fact is they offered a job and you accepted. Again, I'd talk to a good lawyer.

OldTrader

#24     Jul 21, 2009
  5. using an alias???

and I see you complaining later under an alias "BofA sucks, I was working for Lasalle Bank as a temp and they got bought out. They offered me a full time gig and I accepted....and then they canned my ass because I was being charged with a felony. I hate BofA as well, may they rot in hell."

you said this originally "then the recruiter said that anyone with specific felony convictions ever in their lifetime could not be hired by TD."

If you hid a felony, then you have no cause to complain and that is what any lawyer is going to wrap around your neck.

But seriously, companies can fire you any time with at-will employment, even before you start, 3 days after or 15 years later.

And sounds like you are somewhat unscrupulous, using 2 aliases on one thread to support yourself in front of others. Hard to have pity on you.

#25     Jul 21, 2009
  6. There are two diff people complaining about BofA here you idiot.

#26     Jul 21, 2009
  7. jimdaddy

jimdaddy

Given the state of the economy and the level of unemployment in the country...especially the state where I reside I think a court of law may see my point. Legally negligence resulting in emotional distress is grounds for action.

#27     Jul 22, 2009
  8. Surdo

Surdo

Then hire a lawyer and do something about it, posting here is not going to help you!

#28     Jul 22, 2009
  9. cstfx

cstfx

It's cathartic.

#29     Jul 22, 2009
  10. jimdaddy

jimdaddy

I was working when I was offered this job...so naturally I left the gig that I was at and had been gone from there for about a week when I was offered the gig at Merrill.. And, it was an HR rep. that was handling my pre employment info etc. I was offered the position the same day that I interviewed..was called that after noon with the good news and told that I would get a bunch of paper work to sign via the internet and via physical mail and that I had to do the I-9 stuff and finger printing which was all completed...so I would say the time between being offered the gig and then advised that I could no longer have it was a week, exactly two days before my start date. The conviction was 11 years ago to be exact. The forms that I filled out specifically ask if you have been convicted within 10 years....the Merrill forms that is.... and to know that this is not some stand alone incident, to know that it happens a couple times a month at least is rediculous..!!

#30     Jul 22, 2009