Legal aspects of easylanguage compatibility

Discussion in 'Strategy Building' started by SideShowBob, Dec 4, 2006.

1. Has anyone researched the legal aspects of programs that will run easylanguage code, or for that matter any other types of code (for example traders studio basic, wealthlab wealthscript, or amibroker's formula language)?

Would writing such a program to process easylanguage instructions constitute copyright violation? I'm guessing no since traders studio says it can process easylanguage, but maybe they paid tradestation?

2. MGJ

MGJ

The standard dodge is to provide a "translator" which converts language X programs into language Y programs.

3. But running them "as-is" would violate the copyright?

I guess this also applies to the "Lindows" project where you're essentially copying the names and functionality of the WIN32 API DLLs.

4. I think Lindows was a trademark issue. The Wine project http://www.winehq.org which implements Win32 API hasn't had legal issues with Microsoft (yet !) and has been around for a long time.

If there is an issue with Tradestation it might be more a question of software patents than copyright. BTW software patents are not enforceable in the EU. Many people think software patents are a terrible idea and the US system is bound to be overhauled sometime in the future.