Left Wing Nut Fires a Bullet at the Whitehouse.

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Max E., Nov 16, 2011.

1. Well, maybe the gps thingy on the plane was wrong, but it definitely said 650 mph, and we were at 38000 plus feet, the temp of the air was -70 F. It was fascinating.

#21     Nov 17, 2011
  2. pspr

pspr

You definitely don't want to do any wing-walking! :D

#22     Nov 17, 2011

3. I remember because I too was thinking about how close we were to the speed of sound. We were also, very, very late:D

#23     Nov 17, 2011
  4. pspr

pspr

#24     Nov 17, 2011
  5. Max E.

Max E.

#25     Nov 17, 2011
  6. Lucrum

Lucrum

Probably ground speed, IOW the speed being traveled across the ground versus the speed of the aircraft traveling through the air.

#26     Nov 17, 2011
  7. Max E.

Max E.

Never even knew the 2 were different before, what makes the difference, wind resistance? Is there a substantial difference between the 2? (May be a stupid question on my part but i was just curious)

#27     Nov 17, 2011
  8. Lucrum

Lucrum

Simplest explanation would be some examples.

No wind, a plane flying through the air at 450 kts (518 mph) is also crossing the ground at 450 kts.

A plane flying through the air at 450 kts with a 100 kt tailwind would be crossing the ground (ground speed) at 550 kts.

A plane flying through the air into a 50 kt headwind will have a ground speed of 400 kts.

The planes flight characteristics are based solely on it's speed through the air, it's air speed. The plane only "knows" or "sees" airspeed, the indicated airspeed at that. As opposed to it's true airspeed. The ground speed is used for and important in navigation as you might well imagine.

#28     Nov 17, 2011
  9. pspr

pspr

But in RCG's example, wouldn't his plane need to be going West to East in the jet stream to get a ~100 mph tail wind?

#29     Nov 17, 2011
  10. Lucrum

Lucrum

Generally speaking yes, but sometimes the jet stream makes bends. At times and in places it might be more northerly or even southwesterly.

I didn't notice which direction he said he was traveling.

#30     Nov 17, 2011