Lee Iacocca Calls BULLSHIT On America's "Leaders"

Discussion in 'Economics' started by gnome, Feb 12, 2008.

1. Well said. I had just started reading The Creature from Jeykyl Island and was reminded of the Chrysler bailout.

#11     Feb 12, 2008
  2. bgp

bgp

i remember when chrysler received those " LOANS " from the government and those loans were repaid and even profitable . EXCELLENT ARTICLE.

bgp

#12     Feb 12, 2008
  3. gnome

gnome

Anybody remember the details of the Chrysler bailout? Didn't the Gummint just guarantee their bonds, or loan them some money? If so, that a far cry from the types of bailouts in consideration today.

#13     Feb 12, 2008
  4. Pabst I respect your posts but this time you are wrong. Yes, Chrysler got a leg up but under Iacocca's leadership the company paid back every nickel of the loans and FULL INTEREST in one tenth of the allotted loan time.

This old school mindset is reflected in a great book, "Winners Never Cheat: Everyday Values We Learned as Children (But May Have Forgotten) by Jon Huntsman. It's a must read.

The problem today is apathy. "Let someone else deal with the problem", will be our demise.

#14     Feb 12, 2008
  5. Gotta love Iacocca.

I raise a glass to you, Lee. Cheers.

#15     Feb 12, 2008
  6. On CNBC tonight with Kudlow & Company:

Obama's plans likely to bankrupt America.
    Removing tax breaks for the rich will rip the unemployment rate to double digits. No capital formation. No business expansion.
    Health care costs to continue rising as hospitals and doctors continue to fight stupid medicare/medicaid "rules" and procedures that are stuck in a morass of bureaucracy.
    We are so hosed.

#16     Feb 12, 2008
  7. AAA30

AAA30

8. I'm not just talking about the loans. I'm refering to the immense government contracts that de facto secured the loans. It was one thing to see Jeep's in war footage. Quite another to walk past a Federal building circa 1985 and it's parking lot filled with ugly Dodge Aries. :)

#18     Feb 12, 2008
  9. Did you know that the US government paid COST for those items under the loan agreement with Chysler? This was one of the few times our government actually made a good deal with our tax dollars. The depreciation cost per item we paid from those items was the some of the lowest in 100 years for any vehicle according to the GAO.

#19     Feb 12, 2008
  10. Hey Prof you're doing a good job of teaching me some stuff. All right already, no more Iacocca bashing from Pabst. :)

p.s. I always dug the guy but his high horse stuff gets my dander up.

#20     Feb 12, 2008