LED vs. LCD

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by DataCruncher, Apr 10, 2009.

1. gnome

gnome

There is less of that with TN panels... one of the reason they are better for gamers...

In a trading environment, "things" change so slowly you'd never notice lag if you had it.

#11     Apr 10, 2009
  2. Again, an "LED screen" is not what you're talking about. An example of an "LED screen" is the giant displays at stadiums.

You are talking about an LCD screen. Anything with an LCD on top is going to have some issues with handling motion, whether it has LED or CCFL behind the screen. How annoying a problem depends on the application, the implementation, and the sensitivity of the end user to ghosting and other motion artificats. It's firmly YMMV territory and highly subjective.

That said, (quality) TV LCDs are the most capable of handling the problem since they're optimized for video - desktop monitors not so much.

#12     Apr 10, 2009
  3. Eight

Eight

I think the biggest advance due to the LED backlighting is that they can get the white balance to be the best. It increases the color space by 20-30%. That means it can display a larger range of colors. It might be more important for somebody using Photoshop than anything else but hey, if it looks good do it !!

#13     Apr 10, 2009
  4. thanks for the replies. Does anyone know any brick-and-mortar stores that have RGB LED monitors on display? I wanted to check out a display in person but from looking at the websites of Office Max, Staples, & Best Buy it look like they don't carry LED monitors.

#14     Apr 12, 2009
  5. Surdo

Surdo

B & H had a 30" Backlit Samsung LED for $2500 on display!

What's wrong with a quality LCD?

E S

#15     Apr 12, 2009
  6. nothing, but the upgrade from the LCD is only $126 which seems reasonable for a better color range and a longer lasting monitor

#16     Apr 12, 2009
  7. Led Screen Advantage

- the screen will use less power, and thus your battery life will be a bit longer
    - the screen has a much more even and consistent lighting
    - the led screen is thinner, and thus lighter than a standard lcd screen

#17     Apr 27, 2009
  8. I just purchased a DELL Studio XPX 16 laptop with the RGB LED LCD Screen, and I can honestly say that I have never seen a laptop with such good picture quality. Its simply awesome, so if you can get an upgrade for only $126.00, I would definitely go for it. By the way, as far as TN options, ISP screens are few and far between in laptops. Those that exist are very pricy. However, if you want to go the external monitor route, there are a number of good options besides Apple. DELL has a good 24" monitor and in fact, just recently introduced a 22" ISP monitor for a dirt cheap price. I've seen it as low as $225.00. Damn fine monitor too.

Regards...

#18     Apr 28, 2009