LED vs. LCD

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by DataCruncher, Apr 10, 2009.

1. I'm looking at buying a new laptop workstation, Dell Precision M6400, and the Dell website gives you the option to upgrade to a RGB LED screen instead of a LCD screen. One of the upgrade options costs $126 more (non-widescreen RGB LED) and the other option costs $396 more(this LED one is the only monitor listed as widescreen)

I've never used an LED screen. Does anyone know what the pros and cons of LED vs LCD screen are, as far as screen lag, burn-in, viewing angle, glare, etc.?

I especially don't want to have a monitor where you have to look at it straight ahead(not from an angle) to view it properly.

I will sometimes use the machine to play graphics-intensive games like Crysis Warhead.

Any advice is appreciated.

2. "I especially don't want to have a monitor where you have to look at it straight ahead(not from an angle) to view it properly."

an LED screen should be better with viewing angles. probably consumes more power though but that is really a mute point. it is likely one of those newer organic LED displays(if they are out yet as i haven't really kept up lately).

3. gnome

gnome

Fairly sure this is right, but not 100%...

It's not a matter of "LED vs LCD" screen... ALL are LCD.

The LED business is about having a different and newer technology in the BACKLIGHT... primary benefit would be more "evenness" of luminescence. With a notebook screen being so small, I doubt you'd notice the difference of "LCD vs Standard (it's CCFL, if memory serves).

I'd check into it carefully before spending the extra money on LED.

Also, I believe ALL notebook screens have TN panels... such that looking from an angle will distort the color and brightness.

4. I think you are right gnome. the rgb led is the back light but offers beter contrast and colors. you should look into Organic LED technology. very cool but still just out of grasp. I would have thought they would be out by now though.

5. bellman

bellman

In a way all LED backlit screens are organic because they use less energy... as such they should extend the battery life of your laptop a marginal amount as well.

6. GTS

GTS

7. what exactly does TN mean? also this is for a 17inch screen. I'm wondering what the $396 upgrade to the widescreen LED would mean. What exactly is the difference between a 17inch non-widescreen RGB LED screen and a widescreen RBG LED screen?

8. gnome

gnome

TN = Twisted Nematic... one of the types of pixels in today's LCDs... it's cheapest and fastest, but poorest color and viewing angle.

There are different resolutions.. 1400x900 and 1920x1200. You can display more stuff on the higher res one, and its display is sharper because the pixels are smaller.

Not sure the LED dealy is worth the extra cost. You might want to visit a Best Buy and see if you can view a laptop with LED backlight before you buy...

9. Any "LED" screen you buy for home/office IS an LCD screen. What you should be asking for is the difference between an LED backlight and a CCFL backlight behind an LCD screen.

But they are all "LCD screens".

All things being equal, CCFL will be a fair bit cheaper, while LED can provide better color representation and marginally lower power consumption. Pick your poison...

If viewing angle is a concern, forget worrying about the backlight and get an IPS-style LCD screen. In the 24" size range, there are few options outside Apple's Cinema Display.

10. thanks for the replies.
    Is there such a thing as "screen-lag" with LED screens? I think that's where fast moving images leave a faint trail behind. I thought I read somewhere online about it which is what got me worried.

#10     Apr 10, 2009