Leaving your computer on

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ChrisMMM, May 4, 2007.

1. IMHO, very wise. I find it hard to believe that any surge protector/UPS can provide complete protection against direct lighting strike. The amount of energy involved is stupendous. If it can spilt a tree trunk, I imagine it can arc around most forms of isolation, or quite simply just fry or melt them.

As another poster pointed out, your data comms is likely to be unreliable during a decent storm for reasons outside your control providing another reason to just turn the lot off.

#21     May 5, 2007
  2. If lighting strikes passed through the APC surge protectors, then the company would be bankrupt paying all the equipment warranty claims.

I'm pretty confident their stuff works, and it works well.

#22     May 5, 2007
  3. E23

E23

sears tower lightening rod-->UPS-->CPU=toaster

#23     May 5, 2007
  4. balda

balda

I am an Electrical Engineer.

Most of the houses are grounded. (Ground rod connected to electrical service) in addition to that secondary ground connected to water pipe.

There is practically a 0% chance for a Surge Protector company to have any claim filed against them.

You are more likely to have a surge caused by your electrical company.

#24     May 6, 2007
  5. Hi ag

Ok, thanks for the reply. In my case I run my rigs with the covers off the case and I am a bit of a clean freak so I use bottled air to clean them out pretty frequently. The lightning issue is another story I guess. I have actually never heard anyone say, as a guy did here just a few posts above, that lightning-related power surges are not an issue. I wonder if this includes older house as well?

#25     May 6, 2007
  6. ADUX

ADUX

I have also linux and need help installing MT 4 on it . Amy help instruction?Thanks.

#26     May 6, 2007
  7. mine is on all the time, must be months since last time i switch it off.

#27     May 6, 2007
  8. gnome

gnome

That may not be the best idea... your hard drives likely running hotter than necessary.

The case is designed to draw air from outside and over components, so having the case off or open defeats the air flow scheme. (With my case closed, HDs get only barely above body temperature... with the case open, they're almost too hot to handle.)

#28     May 6, 2007
  9. Allaces

Allaces

24/7... I ride my computer hard and my women even harder

And covers off on a high end rig is far cooler Gnome

#29     May 6, 2007
  10. Now I'm really jealous since you appear to have more women than computers. Or wannabee both cases?

Ursa..

#30     May 6, 2007