Leaving your computer on

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ChrisMMM, May 4, 2007.

1. It is bad to leave the computer on for say a week?

2. Surdo

Surdo

I reboot mine once a week.
    It's been running for 3 years, shut down for my quarterly vacations only.

el $urdo

3. I shut down every night... I find my computers get slow after being on for more than 24 hours

4. No problem. I only shut my stuff down (and unplug the mains power) during thunder storms.

5. joebonds

joebonds

Go ahead, leave it on, I promise I won’t hack in to your trading platform and have fun making all those trades I was ‘just thinkin’ about.
    J/K
    I run 2 PCs through a hardware firewall with an aggressive AV, but I’m still always leery about leaving my ‘trading’ PC on.

What, you think I’m paranoid??

Tell that to those guys that are following me

6. KS96

KS96

I am running an Athlon 1.2GHz with Linux 24/7 since 2001.
    I only had to shut it down a few times to add/replace
    HDs, memory, CPU fan.

7. I let mine sleep when I'm not using it

8. it is recommended to re-boot every morning but no need to turn it off at all. i had mine on for years.

the caveat is electricity, it DOES eat it even when the screens are off. if you don't use it for a few hours, why not turn it off.

it's up to you.

9. Is this possible - that leaving it on slows down functions?

10. The correct answer is based on either personal preference, or a specific need (ie data collection). There is no harm either way. A need to reboot is an OS specific issue, not hardware related.

If your box is connected to the internet, some modems have a connection on/off button. Depending on your need, turning off the connection will give you 100% security. If you've already been compromised, turning off your connection means little.

#10     May 5, 2007