Leaving old job to start trading...book request

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by TinGull, Aug 20, 2006.

1. volente_00

volente_00

2. Hahahah.

Funny you should mention this Holmes.

When I first decided to be a trader, I saw the potential for profit (but not loss), just like every other newbie trader.

It just so happens that it was about 3 years ago, and as you know, downsizing was an extremely popular activity in Corporate America at that time.

The other survivors were so sad for us, but we saw it as getting a lot of free money, and the time you needed to pursue other things.

After six months of getting my @$$ handed to me in the markets, I was more than ready when they called me and begged me to come back (it seems that no one else had my particular skill-set). Well I went back and did a bang-up job, they actually offered me my position back, but I wasn't interested.

So it's three years later, I've got a second-shift job, and the trading is kicking into high gear.

It only took me three years, but I'm not married and not too concerned right now with anything but succeeding in the markets.

Best,

Jimmy

#42     Aug 27, 2006
  3. TinGull

TinGull

Thanks all. As for the home vs work...no worries. I totally understand and have taken your point to heart. As for getting pissed when you lose money...yea. I was in commission sales for a while and though I hated it, I was one of the more successful folks there. Its all a numbers game, trading and sales.

Thanks all for the recommendations, I really appreciate it!

#43     Aug 27, 2006
  4. Seems a lot of responses are addressing questions you didn't ask. I may be misinterpreting your question as well, but the following have good stuff for the trader who's on his own, regardless of what it is he's trading or how he's trading it:

Mastering Futures Trading : An Advanced Course for Sophisticated Strategies that Work by Bo Yoder

The Psychology of Trading: Tools and Techniques for Minding the Markets by Brett N. Steenbarger

Techniques of Tape Reading by Vadym Graifer and Christopher Schumacher

As for the Elder book you're reading, all those traders are his students, so the book amounts to one long ad. There are better resources.

LC

#44     Aug 27, 2006