Leaving old job to start trading...book request

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by TinGull, Aug 20, 2006.

1. I remember the first time I quit my job to run my business full time. I thought I was nuts or going crazy. I decided that if I am making money, meeting expenses and saving money then I can not be crazy.

I think profitability is the difference between living an a fantasy delusional world and being a real business operator.

I remember people laughing at me, calling me names. Women avoiding me.

I recall the first time I am self employed is the worst and scaryiest. Now it does not trouble me. I remember surviving the bad times. The phrase comes to my mind now: Yea as I walk THROUGH the valley of death I shall fear no evil... I remember being there before and surviving, and I can do it again.

For me it gets easier as I get older and more experienced.

It helps when I go fishing.

#11     Aug 21, 2006
  2. TinGull

TinGull

Thanks for that post. That's just the kind of things I was looking to hear. I started reading a book called Why Aren't You Your Own Boss, and that has been giving me TONS of insight into the world of self employment. Really good read for someone who's first timing it. As for now, I'm totally ready to make the move. I've got family behind me who've seen my moonlighting trading business get better and grow, and that's a huge help.

Thanks again
    Chris

#12     Aug 21, 2006
  3. Books you might consider for a "view" of the activity are

Chick Goslin "Trading Day by Day"

and

Gary Smith "How I trade for a living"

#13     Aug 21, 2006
  4. TinGull

TinGull

Thanks Kiwi. I'm all set on that aspect of things, though. The subject I was mostly wanting to hear about is how people took that step from trading during their off time, to quitting their job and doing it full time. Overcoming that initial fear and nervousness about being under that proverbial "umbrella" of a paycheck to going out on your own. Do those books contain anything like that? I was thinking it'd be more in self employment books, but if those ones have some good insights into that, I'm game :)

Thanks again

#14     Aug 21, 2006
  5. Its a long time since I read Smith's book but I think it is in that area that I found it interesting ... not so much as a how to trade book.

Chick's book isn't but is another good view on the trading world.

#15     Aug 21, 2006
  6. TinGull

TinGull

wonderful! I'll go to the library today :)

#16     Aug 21, 2006
  7. Arnie

Arnie

#17     Aug 21, 2006
  8. I think Marty Schwartz' book Pit Bull could be just what you need. He quit a full time job to trade.

#18     Aug 21, 2006
  9. ...so where are the women now??.. if you dont' mind me asking :)

#19     Aug 22, 2006
  10. Hey Tin,

The key to what you are looking for is being able to maintain a relaxed state-of-mind while pursuing your craft of trading day-by-day.

Not for nothing, there's a lot of truth in what Bitstream had to say on the subject, and being adequately capitalized, having a sound trading methodology which you've hit in a number of different market conditions and a proven positive expectancy will go a long way towards maintaining your psychology.

Consistently trading well is hellaciously difficult, as there will always be another curve ball, change up, slider, no fast ball coming at you with the next week of trading ... right after you thought you'd mastered the game.

The better psychology you can maintain, the better off you're going to be during the process. I'd actually recommend a good balanced regime of diet, sleep, exercise, socialzing, maybe a hobby or two, (and lets not forget petting small animals) to keep you grounded more so than any book.

Best,

JJ

P.S. Psychology is Key

#20     Aug 22, 2006