Leaving IB - where to go??

Discussion in 'Interactive Brokers' started by PBateman7, Mar 10, 2012.

1. ssrrkk

ssrrkk

I think oldtime's point is that a master carpenter can create beautiful furniture despite using the crappiest tools. The novice carpenter often blames his ugly results on his brand new tools. I'm not saying this is you, I am just guessing what oldtime is getting at.

#31     Mar 11, 2012
  2. i hear what you are saying ssrrkk and well said if i must say so myself. no blame being placed here, just want and need something different for now. if i can find a tool to do my job better then id only be hurting myself not to give it a try.

any suggestions on who i should check out?

#32     Mar 11, 2012
  3. there's a very good thread out there, I was just trying to think of the traders name. He talks about taking it to the next level. He was paying IB hundreds of thousands of dollars a year in commissions, I forget if he self cleared or found his own FCM, obviously, I don't know that much about it once you get beyond the retail level. But the jist of it was, it's not all a bed of roses out there.

anybody remember who that famous trader was that wrote about his journey leaving ib and going out on his own was?

(I'll think about it and see if I can remember, it was really an eye opening post if you are thinking about really taking this business seriously)

#33     Mar 11, 2012
  4. otherwise, the last person I had a serious discussion with about brokers told me eventually I would see how much IB sucked (mainly due to some differences about spread margin) and he traded with either Rosenthal or Mann Financial, depending on what he had on. Not sure how the Mann thing worked out.

#34     Mar 11, 2012
  5. http://www.elitetrader.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=236174

He is in futures though. There really arent any alternatives when it comes to equities. As shitty as IB is when it comes to solving issues, it's the best all around retail platform for equities if you are low 6 digits.

#35     Mar 11, 2012
  6. thanks man, but that is not the one I was thinking of, but the guy I was thinking of also traded futures, or more likely options. Could be the same trader though. He wrote a really nice long post about the trials and tribulations of leaving ib who handled all the bullshit he didn't know about, and going out on his own. Never really did come to a conclusion about what was better. The one thing he was trying to beat was the crazy commissions he was paying ib, and also, just being independent, he wanted to be on his own.

#36     Mar 11, 2012
  7. Options12

Options12 Guest

PBateman7, expect more of these drive-by's. Traders so fond of their brokers that they fight about it. Expect newwurldmn to come by. He'll act confused, and Stock777, just foul.

#37     Mar 11, 2012
  8. rmorse

rmorse Sponsor

Send me an e-mail with your contact information. I'll send you some information about my firm and follow up with a call on Monday.

We may be a good fit.

Bob

#38     Mar 11, 2012
  9. my broker is the best broker there is. Same goes for the car I drive and the neighborhood I live in. And if you say anything bad about them, that makes me feel bad about myself.

AND I JUST DON'T WANT TO HEAR IT!

Now can we all just get back to talking about things that make me feel good about myself?

(otherwise, he's a shill)

pretends he doesn't like his fills, and then no, it is customer service, and then no, it is the platform. Never has a valid complaint, just hoping someone will mention the firm he is shilling for.

#39     Mar 11, 2012
  10. options12, now I am beginning to have my doubts about you and all your "Is cash at IB insured" crap

how's that for a drive thru?

screw me once shame on me

#40     Mar 11, 2012