Leaving for awhile....

Discussion in 'Trading' started by t0yland, Mar 29, 2003.

1. Best wishes and good luck from a Canadian here. I think it is an honorable and respectable thing that you are doing by going to fight in this war.

As in any war there are a lot of controversial opininions about it. There are a few leftists in Canada just as there are everywhere that believe the best way to acheive peace in the world is to avoid any military action. If we would have let them have their way in the past they would have to learn to say peace in German or Russian or not to say it all.

What I've been doing with the idle money in my accounts now is to buy preferred shares that pay steady dividends. I can usually get a steady 8% return on them and they are very liquid, I can buy and sell them just like regular shares. I look back at the history of the stocks to make sure that the value doesn't fluctuate and the dividend payments have been steady. I also split up the money between several companies just in case one company runs into trouble I won't lose all my money.

#31     Mar 31, 2003
  2. t0yland

t0yland

Thanks for everyones replys.

After looking at all the options I think its safest to just stay out of the market. I will not have to worry about it and if it crashes for whatever reason I will be safe.

Oh and for the one thats against the war. You stated you use to be in the military. Which branch where you in? What bases where you stationed at? Which squadron? What was your job? I just ask this because I got the impression you are not and never where in the military.

Also at what point would you support a military action against Iraq? After they destroy New York?

#32     Mar 31, 2003
  3. taodr

taodr

Keep your money out the market while you're away. All the best to you.

#33     Mar 31, 2003
  4. Arnie

Arnie

Maybe Klutz was a sex slave in a gay French Battalion?:D :D

#34     Mar 31, 2003
  5. Bluestar Airlines!

#35     Mar 31, 2003
  6. Honda

Honda

You're full of sheeeet. You were never in the Military. Your smartass Hero comment was uncalled for. Ron In-a-sauna is correct. Toyland watch your six and stay safe. Stay in cash/CD while your gone.

#36     Mar 31, 2003
  7. i dont think he was either, rather he was just trying to cover his ass b/c he knew he was wrong.
    and klutz, as far as you go, i dont have time to "educate" someone with an immature mentality and that is why i am not debating you. esp. b/c your comments are transparent as someone whom i obviously couldnt have an intellectual discussion with anyway.
    funny, i didnt even take a position on the war in my comments, rather you took it upon yourself to decide that as you launched into a tirade against the war, and even brought up the middle east; you are obviously someone with an agenda looking to pick fights, on an anonomous message board nonetheless, what a man!
    my only point was not to take a cheap shot at toyland b/c he didnt choose this war... i am sure he would rather be at home trading stocks! and its not like he was on here talking about being pro war, he was asking for portfolio advice and you take a cheap shot at him. thats ignorant.
    badmouth politicians all you want but you should be supporting the troops regardless of what side of the fence your politics lie.

#37     Mar 31, 2003
  8. good post, i have been reccomending preffereds and divs for a couple years now, foregoing cap appreciation for a yield to outperform money markets and shorter term debt.
    if your patient and do some homework, in this climant you can even pick these up at a tremendous discount for no good reason other thatn lack of liquidity during a sell off, i.e last oct, thereby increasing the yield and even making a couple 2 or 3 points!
    anyone can PM if you would like some ideas

#38     Mar 31, 2003
  9. How about laying off the coronas while on the ET board.

#39     Mar 31, 2003
  10. I don't agree with the politics you are implying, but I respect your diplomatic way of putting it.

#40     Mar 31, 2003