Leaving for awhile....

Discussion in 'Trading' started by t0yland, Mar 29, 2003.

1. t0yland

t0yland

Hey everyone,

I will be deploying really soon. Have a question for some of you.
    Think I should keep my money in the market or just stay out completely. I wont be able to watch it at all. If I should keep it in what are some good stocks? Also any other ideas?

2. qdz3

qdz3

Hey war buddy, which division are you you in? I just sent my enlist request. They said they were going to inform my before next Friday. I would be likely in the new 3rd division.

I prefer to get totally out of this insane market, not because of the move it takes but so many greedy special interest group of traitors around. I don't trust them at all. They are gonna eat up my account. I'd rather be totally in cash while I am away.

Good luck and see you in Baghdad.

:p

3. If you have to ask this question you shouldn't be trading at all. :eek:

4. jester

jester Guest

Mellow our Mr. Know-it-all...geezus the attitudes on these boards really suck sometimes, the guy has a honest question is going out to defend your country and your giving him "attitude??"...sorry that really got my going..Longshot I've read your post's before and had no opinion of you but I had to respond...I have a brother and another one of our traders just got recalled to go to Iraq and we just sat down with him and designed a whole financial plan for his trading equity with our in house CMT to prepare and plan for his service.

Sorry folks usually I'm better able to control my emotions, but this kinda upset me.

Peace and support to our brave men and women in Iraq.

J-

5. the question isn't dumb. its a good question. i think the objective is to become market neutral. and that would include inflation and currency neutral. id prolly get some portfolio of cash, gold and maybe swiss frank. its not an easy question of how to get totally market neutral.

6. How about just 'gettin out' completely till he once again can manage his account?

7. I don't think you will miss too big a move in stocks in the next few months, to the upside or the downside. If you'd like pick a few DOW stocks that pay high dividends and buy them. If I were in your position, I would probably buy US savings bonds in the amount of $30,000 (I think that's the max allowed per person per year, if not, please correct this figure accordingly) or half of all the money you want to invest, whichever is less, and put the rest into stocks like ge, pfe, ek and the like.

But you must understand that everything can lose its value. If the dollar keeps getting weaker, even your savings bonds won't do you much good. But at least they will always be worth more than if you had just kept cash.

8. That's an interesing point, but in the end, everything carries market risk. The only way to be completely market neutral is to be dead. Even if you have no money, no assets, and no debt, you are still exposed to market risk (although you would be almost dead...)

9. Brandonf

Brandonf Sponsor

I wish you the best of luck as you go. As for your money, I would just keep it in cash. I don't think you will miss much and you should not have to worry about your money as well as your life.

Brandon

10. Maybe going short equities would be a good hedge against your risk in Iraq.:)

#10     Mar 29, 2003