Lease up. Next car

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by nitro, Dec 21, 2008.

1. nitro

nitro

No. But the important thing is that you do.

#21     Mar 22, 2009
  2. nitro

nitro

Right, of course. But Generally what I have found is that reliability is highly correlated to replacement parts.

I don't know how they do it exactly [put superior parts in the car], but a Honda accord costs about as much as say a comparable Ford, say the Fusion. And yet, when you go to fix them, the Accord's parts are usually 30 to 50% more than the Fusion parts. Why is it then that the Accord doesn't cost more than the Fusion to buy? If you have experience with computer motherboards, you see the same thing and the same results.

It probably has to do with keeping costs down on American cars like the Fusion to compete with Japanese/etc automakers, so they put in inferior parts. American auto manufacturers can't sacrifice on health care, or hourly wage, or pension benefits, or whatever to cut back costs of producing the car. Thing is, with all these Japanese automakers having assembly plants in the US, how is it that their costs are any different???? Are the parts manufactured overseas and brought here to the US?

Maybe the keyword is "buy" and perhaps they have different utilities and destinies. American cars are seen as "fleet" cars to be sent to the rental car companies (did the chicken or the egg come first ? In other words, did fleet sales ruin American cars, or did American cars find a niche in fleet sales because they sucked for so long?). Naturally, American cars became the Bic shavers of the industry.

#22     Mar 22, 2009
  3. nitro

nitro

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/News/articleId=129496

The 4.6 0-to-60 time can be lowered by at least .2 seconds by undoing Chevy's intake limitations so that the Camaro doesn't compete with the Corvette.

Porsche invented 0-60-0 times. This is just as important as 0-60, and Brembo brakes on the Camaro get you 117 feet. Not legendary Porsche, but damn good.

#23     Mar 22, 2009
  4. Banjo

Banjo

That was "several years ago". I'd like to think things have improved and the new cars won't suffer that . A good point none the less.

#24     Mar 22, 2009
  5. I was toning it down a bit. I owned the Chevelle and the Benz at the same time, back around 1993. The Benz ran well, rode nicely and was very dependable. The Chevelle was an original 396-350hp 4 spd, only thing non-stock were the Thrush Turbo mufflers. Oftentimes, I would have a few Jim Beams, snort speedballs and bang 2nd gear at 4000 rpm in the dead of night. When I read about the 425hp version of the new Camaro, I had an anxiety attack!!

#25     Mar 22, 2009
  6. I have had about 7 American cars and now am on my second Honda (previous was rear ended by someone on a cellphone and heavy traffic).

EVERY SINGLE ONE of my American cars needed engine, tranny or both replaced within 110,000 miles. And by then, the work was almost equivalent to the value of the car. And I took care of them all, oil change 3000 miles or 3 months, etc.

Buy a Honda or Toyota, and you expect to get near 200,000 miles before major rework.

I plan to buy Toyotas or Hondas from henceforth. My next car I am thinking the Avalon...

A car is a major investment. I have zero interest in "luxury" or "impress the friends." I buy based on these factors:

Safety
    Longterm reliability
    Comfort
    Cost/value
    Gas economy / environmental impact (Honda builds GREAT engines)
    and a few other things.

#26     Mar 22, 2009
  7. lol.

#27     Mar 22, 2009
  8. pathus21

pathus21

Honestly I really like Porches but they just scream tiny penis syndrome to me. I always see fuckin old losers in them.

#28     Mar 22, 2009
  9. I refuse to buy a rice grinding, high revving, Japanese shitbox.

Get yourself an old American car, pre-1973. Mosey on down to your local classic car dealership and pick up an old GM A-body or F-body car. When the shit really hits the fan and Mad Max style anarchy takes its toll, you'll be glad to own a car that's easy to repair.

No diagnostics computer required.

#29     Mar 22, 2009
  10. Quote from forextrades:

I refuse to buy a rice grinding, high revving, Japanese shitbox.

Yes, who wants reliability, safety, good price, holds its value better, good mileage, well built etc. etc.???

Get yourself an old American car, pre-1973.

Yes. Just get yourself 80 pounds of Rust-eeze and some clamps to hold a 36+ year old car together.

And who needs airbags/safety equipment when you can pour tons of money into keeping the power train and rest of the car together???

#30     Mar 23, 2009