learning to trade....

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by 7rader, Sep 2, 2009.

1. achilles28

achilles28

Not at all. I averaged 2-3 hours a day, over 7 years. The last 18 months, bumped it up to about 5 hours, a day.

I learned on my own. Prop would have helped (mirror/befriend profitable guys).

Its a moving target. Some guys learn quick. Others, like me, learn slow. Most never learn at all.

5 years is about average. I was profitable after year 5, but nowhere close to what I needed (30% doesn't cut it).

It takes a long time to sort the wheat from the chaff. As a neophyte, you must figure out what works, what doesn't, and what doesn't appear to work, but does ;)

That takes a lot of screen-time. Thousands of hours. Also depends where u begin looking.

#11     Sep 4, 2009
  2. achilles28

achilles28

That's great advice.

All you noobs, promptly open a demo account and live trade. No better substitute. Otherwise, you could spend years fooling yourselves on the bench. A demo gives immediate, constructive feedback (pass/fail). No fantasy delusions.

Also, spend no more than 20% of research time on message boards. Largely, they're a waste. Journals are the best online resource. Mirror other profitable traders. Forums can only point newbies in the right direction. You must learn to apply the tools on your own.

#12     Sep 4, 2009
  3. Find a good trading room. Learn their methodology, then move on to the next trading room.

#13     Sep 4, 2009