Learning to trade ZB

Discussion in 'Financial Futures' started by Siwash, Oct 19, 2003.

1. Thanks everyone for all info.

#11     Oct 21, 2003
  2. DblArrow

DblArrow

Boring could be one way to put it; especially on anything longer than a 5 min chart.

Doesn't move anyway near as fast (except after a report that one forgets about until you realize you are down 20 ticks on 2 contracts).

Seems to trend better intraday and daily. Not as many scalpers, most folks are looking for bigger moves. Volume of the ZN is close to that of the ES and will occasionally surpass it.

I do find that my method of trading (limit orders for entries) I will often miss the good moves as it will not come back to an order, of even 1 tick. However there are a number of big block trades on the ZN and ZF (5yr), big blocks being 200+.

Hope that helps,

Make 'emn pretty, Chris

#12     Oct 21, 2003
  3. To trade the ZB, ZN, ZF successfully here are some of the things you need to keep a close eye on:
    1 The economic calendar. Unless you have lots of experience avoid key economic reports hours. The volatility is huge.
    2 Keep an eye on dollar.
    3 Some understanding of yield curve and how it plays out on ZB, ZN, ZF
    4 Experiment with different time frames. support, resistance, trend lines on different time frame is the key.
    5 Bloomberg site has god commentary on bonds by Caroline Baum. Also see the Pimco site.

#13     Oct 21, 2003

4. Thanks very much for the info, I've been looking for the appropriate IR instrument to move into, and zn and zb have sounded like good choices.

I assume I can't see these in TS because maybe I don't have the right exchange entitlements.

Thanks again

#14     Oct 21, 2003
  5. personally speaking i prefer trading bonds to the sp futures . the main difference for me is that the bonds have very little "head fakes" compared to the ES.

#15     Oct 21, 2003
  6. I agree with larrybf. That's precisely the reason why I moved to trading ZB from ES/NQ.

#16     Oct 21, 2003
  7. jmis

jmis

how do you calc pivots point for zn/zb since they're trading from 8pm to 4pm the next day?

if you guys don't mind, may i ask what are the general methods, timelines to trade these instruments?

thanks

#17     Oct 21, 2003
  8. i use the high, low, close / 3 = pivot . i use the pit numbers because these guys seem to use the pivot number with prime importance. actually i am a screen trader but i use the pivot number " as the line in the sand" whether i go long or short for my 1-3 quick trades per day.also, i am an early morning trader so i cannot vouch for validity of using pivot in the afternoon.

#18     Oct 21, 2003
  9. Siwash

Siwash

This sounds similar to the approach I am going to make..I have a 12 tick per week goal..does this sound realistic to you?

thanks.

#19     Oct 21, 2003
  10. SIWASH..... i hope that my answer does not confuse you.....$1500 profit per contract per month net is possible but even half that amount CONSISTENTLY should be a goal to shoot for. i do not know your backround or what you know or believe but the reality is the majority of traders lose some or all of their money CONSISTENTLY.......no matter what they trade.also.... the fewer trades you make the better your chance i believe you have to achieve PROFITABILITY...... your first goal in my opinion.... remember ths is my opinion.... BUT AN HONEST ONE without hype and bs thrown in..... good luck.....

#20     Oct 21, 2003