Learning to Tape Read 101

Discussion in 'Trading' started by cashmoney69, May 27, 2008.

1. maybe im a natural :)

#21     May 27, 2008
  2. i usually just go arca.

#22     May 27, 2008
  3. Congrats cashmoney!

This is something I have been curious about, but have yet to take the time to learn.

Keep up the good work.

#23     May 27, 2008
  4. I dont see how tape reading is even remotely possible these days. Maybe find a buyer/seller on a real thin stock perhaps, IDK.

Just seems like a big waste of time trying to read a fragmented electronic algorithmic order.. I could be wrong though.

#24     May 27, 2008
  5. Yes, the market fragmentation is the biggest problem for a tape reader, but there are listed stocks that still traded on NYSE about 80% if its daily volume. So by watching just one tape you can get a pretty good idea if there any aggressive buyer/seller in the stock.

#25     May 27, 2008
  6. bump.

Just want to know...How critical is it to have s&p future quotes

while day trading stocks?

cm

#26     May 29, 2008
  7. zan013

zan013

trying to do tape reading in XOM??? you gotta be kidding me. try something slow and illiquid.

#27     May 29, 2008
  8. astral

astral

To just start right away with the tape, you will loose yourself, and like most say, will take you one hell of a long time. Put up Range charts(tick chart with the minimum spread of the stock) next to it. Without any doubt this will help you tremendously.

It's up to, though:)

#28     May 29, 2008
  9. When there is an aggressive buyer/seller in a stock, it doesn't matter what INDU or spooz are doing - the algo is kicked in and it keeps working the order until it's done or get canceled. Look at CF yesterday - it went up 11pts on a smooth line regardless what the market was doing.

#29     May 29, 2008