Learning T/A

Discussion in 'Technical Analysis' started by Kastro_316, Apr 26, 2005.

1. Let us be clear. Primary research in the trading context is doing your own testing, which may or may not include actual trading. Secondary research, by definition, is looking at what others have already done. I would imagine that this would include reading more material on a specific topic or discussing it with supposedly knowledgeable people. I think that about covers it. In my own case I found that, once I developed a basic grounding in T/A, my only real progress was via "primary research." Everything else was tangential. Evidently, you disagree. This disagreement supports the notion that there are varied paths to the Happy Kingdom. :)

P.S. As for your reference to where the "rubber meets the road," presumably you refer to actual trading. However, let us remember that the question posed was not one specifically about trading, but rather about T/A itself (and, presumably, the development of a method - however, that is an inference on my part).

#31     Apr 28, 2005
  2. Well I agree with you. I learned what primary and secondary research are in the process.

What I meant by rubber meeting the road was the person's approach meeting the market. Just tried to use the theme of a road (market), a vehicle (a trading approach) and rubber (where the market and approach make contact).

As we all see,it is difficult to actually make contributions that can help others. Mostly this is because it is difficult to convey to another views that are helpful even though the person is not in a place to allow the help to occur.

I'm older than most any of the books you mention so my trading career is longer. I did read the 4th ed of Magee as a primer but i was more influenced by a person who explained the P, V relationship to me. In return, I labored on a drafting board to ink a 26 week P and V chart on an 11 by 17. From there on we invented making money using T/A as you directly suggest.

Today, there are a lot of young people and older people who crossed paths with us......we just gave away all we knew as a courtesy. It has been exceptionally rewarding for many many years. We kept track, casually, of how and when various people became millionaires or had to report intended transactions prior to making them.(A milliion bucks was a lot then).

It is especially nice when something new is invented that can support the business of making money. Almost no one invents anything themselves; it is acquired in any number of ways.

#32     Apr 28, 2005
  3. The quote above is perfect.

#33     Apr 28, 2005
  4. Looks like you know about price-only TA more and better. :)

#34     Apr 29, 2005
  5. =========
    Kastro3;16'

Actually prefer price, price, price & trendlines;
    since a proper trendline underlines price,
    or overlines price.:cool:

Noting trends in you equity accounts help also.

Not to be confused with real trading, but i still like to paper trade also;
    it helps.

Made money trading NEM, but fortunately papertraded NEM derivatives;
    and never made a profit paper trading NEM derivatives, therefore never traded NEM derivatives

:D

#35     Apr 29, 2005
  6. Of course, as long as you didn't try to bet your money on it.
    :D

#36     Apr 29, 2005
  7. What are FTP and FBP stand for? Thanks.

#37     Apr 30, 2005
  8. the 3 variables

price
    time
    volume

TA is a study of those 3 . break it down to that level and it becomes easier to comprehend. fwiw

................. bris

#38     Apr 30, 2005
  9. #39     Apr 30, 2005

10. correct , i also follow P.T.V works for me

#40     Apr 30, 2005