Learning programming/modeling

Discussion in 'Automated Trading' started by trader56, Sep 3, 2006.

1. Murray Ruggiero

Murray Ruggiero Sponsor

Signal processing , the way I am using the term is how engineers use it, using classic time series and signal processing methods.

Event Modeling , is different. Remember I did work with the release of major government reports and trading the bond market. That more like what your talking about. When I say signal processing I mean processing a time series and forecasting it. Events actually cause classic time series analysis to fail because they create shocks to the system which is why market data time series are non stationary.

#61     Sep 10, 2006
  2. Fletch,
    Do you have an explanation of this contradiction? I think you may have some insight on this issue.

Maybe it is because we never really hear from the successful Hedge Fund managers here at this site because they are too busy making money, and do not need to have "side projects" to earn a living?
    Zack

#62     Sep 10, 2006
  3. If your serious start taking a few courses at your local community college.

I would recommended the following

Computer Programming I/II
    Data Structures I/II
    Introduction to Algorithms

You may want to take a math course calc I and II if your rusty on your math.

Best of luck.

#63     Sep 21, 2006
  4. fielman

fielman

Same with me. I have some Pascal knowledge (from school) and limited VBA knowledge and I had a brief introduction to OOP with the language Smalltalk at University.

Know I am eager to learn one of the more powerful object-oriented languages for two reasons:

- develop a trading system to work with IB's API (only possible in C++, Java or VB)
    - speed for the use of complex algorithms / data processing in real time

Any suggestions?

#64     Sep 29, 2006
  5. Tums

Tums

you are OLD !
    you have given away your age. ;-)>

#65     Sep 29, 2006
  6. fielman

fielman

Thanks Tums - can you program in theses elderly languages??

#66     Sep 29, 2006
  7. Not to burst y'alls bubbles, but it's easier for an experienced engineer/programmer to learn to trade profitably than it is for a trader to learn programming.

#67     Sep 29, 2006
  8. fielman

fielman

That is the point - to learn to program a robust trading system, just the programming, not to discover a profitable trading strategy.

#68     Sep 29, 2006
  9. m4a1

m4a1

how do you know this? let me guess, you are an engineer.

#69     Sep 29, 2006
  10. But, of course.

As you no doubt know, engineers are actually smarter than everyone else.
    (I do hope you noted the tone of self-deprecating humor there.)

#70     Sep 29, 2006