Learning path - Need your inputs

Discussion in 'Automated Trading' started by ModelD, Aug 8, 2019.

1. ModelD

ModelD

kinda agree. I'm not looking for any new strategy but just to automate my existing manual trading plan.

#11     Aug 9, 2019
  2. RedDuke

RedDuke

If IB allows forex, Ninja can certainly trade it

#12     Aug 9, 2019
  3. If you are not a do-it-yourself-er in regular life, I would just pick Ninja Trader. But I'm picky and a jerk so I don't like using other people's software.

#13     Aug 9, 2019
  4. ModelD

ModelD

I just spoke to NinjaTarder support and they confirmed that don't support Forex trading with Interactive Brokers. They support only with Forex.com or Onanda.

#14     Aug 9, 2019
  5. I suspect that's because IB doesn't disclose volume information. Can't imagine why otherwise.

#15     Aug 9, 2019
  6. ModelD

ModelD

Ninja Trader is not an option for me now as they don't support forex with IB. Also, don't prefer to do all-my-own-system in the beginning stage unless it is absolutely necessary.

#16     Aug 9, 2019
  7. MotiveWave

MotiveWave Sponsor

MotiveWave connects to IB (no issue with forex trading) and has backtesting functionality.

#17     Aug 13, 2019
  8. Warren

Warren

Well, I have been using Ninjatrader to backtest for quite a while, until one day I find an error than even the support team can not fix. And can not even explain why that error happened. Confused and I did a lot of home work to figure out what is happening. But after some time, I realize that it is beyond my ability to do that kind of work.

I asked for the gurus here. And their reply is that Ninja is spaghetti code: two much functions twisted and compiled in one core file( one dll file I guess). And when there are errors, no body is able to find where the bug is !

That is the reason why I converted to python as the gurus suggested.

#18     Oct 10, 2020
  9. Asterix

Asterix

Did you write your own python application or you went with one of the existing ones (zipline , backtrader, etc) ?
    It seems neither zipline or backtrader supports volume based charts / data.

#19     Oct 10, 2020
  10. Warren

Warren

Well, not yet. I do not have a programming background. And I have been doing the basic stuff, learning python, and pandas package, and trying out the back test pakages.

#20     Oct 19, 2020