Learn to Trade

Discussion in 'Trading' started by Gary_McLaughlin, Jul 9, 2003.

1. Two more shorts to watch:

MEE below 13.10
    STE below 22.65

#11     Jul 10, 2003
  2. MAG broke out

#12     Jul 10, 2003
  3. MAG broke out

#13     Jul 10, 2003
  4. ACS broke down

#14     Jul 10, 2003
  5. Maggandre,

I mostly use SC.com's scans for volume gainers. I believe there is a way to weed out the penny stocks and thinly traded stocks but I'm not sure how. They do crossovers, 52 wk highs, indicator signals, etc..

#15     Jul 10, 2003
  6. Gary,

What criteria do you use to pick these stocks?

Thx

#16     Jul 10, 2003
  7. I'm a pattern and support and resistance trader. I look for break outs on strong volume or break downs on normal volume. I want the surge in volume to occur at the bottom - right where I am looking to cover. I'm not shorting very much lately. The biggest think I look for on break outs is volume. Volume tells you everything you need to know.

#17     Jul 10, 2003
  8. Two great example are RFMD from yeterday and MAG from today. Both broke out of a head and shoulder reversal pattern on strong volume.

#18     Jul 10, 2003
  9. it sounds like you have a relatively simple process for creening stocks. So basically, you go to sc.com and scan for volume gainers until you come across an attractive pattern opportunity?

I am a new trader, just started with a prop firm about a month ago and am tryng to soak up everything I can to find a strategy that I feel most comfortable with. Thanks-

#19     Jul 10, 2003
  10. That comes pretty close to what I look for. I'm more interested in the pattern to begin with. I then look for volume. If strong volume exits but there is no pattern to explore it, I pass it up. I have to have both in order to select an exact entry point.

On the other hand, you don't need strong volume to sell short when a stock breaks support. Average volume is fine. Spikes in volume usually occur at the bottom - right where you want to cover. Stocks usually rally after a capitulation sell-off.

#20     Jul 10, 2003