Leading Industry Groups

Discussion in 'Trading' started by IndexTrader, Nov 3, 2003.

1. Which industries do you keep an eye out for in order to get an early sense of market direction or confirmation? In other words, a group of stocks that tends to make a move either before the market does or do not confirm the latest move.
    Some groups I've seen mentioned are biotechs, airlines, semiconductors.

Do you have any favorites?

2. Well, I think MSFT is big enough to be its own group & I've watched it pull the market the last several days ...

3. Hmmm...it's interesting you say that because msft is trading near lows of last 2 mos. yet market is at highs...

4. MSFT comprises over 8% of the Nasdaq 100, so regardless of its relative strength vs. the index -- it still has a significant impact...

5. Yes, market would be higher but for MSFT. Big M sold off on speculation they would buy Google at an inflated price ... has held the indices back. Obviously I'm bullish ...

6. SMH and BKX

( chips & banks )

:)

7. Chips and Bios for Nasdaq, Banks for S&P. All three breakout at same time you can get a nice move with follow thru. If say chips and bios are diveraging then moves in index tend to be more choppy and less follow thru. Sometimes you get a break in these sectors with up to a 5 minute lead or more before a move in indexes.